Auto-type/Autofill for logging into other desktop apps

No worries! Basically they’re starting to add native APIs for applications to access password manager data and treat them as approved data sources instead of the password manager needing to ‘force’ data into an application.

5 Likes

Nice. Any ETA???

Is Credentials Management API the thing you’re talking about? (Windows: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/secauthn/kinds-of-credentials)

Does this mean that it will only work for applications that use the Credentials Management API? Seems like it could be a while before a vast majority of apps support this feature… right?

I’ve been wanting to switch to Bitwarden for over a year, but have stuck with Keepass, because I love this feature too much! Keeper also has an interesting way of doing it: https://docs.keeper.io/user-guides/keeperfill-for-apps#hotkeys

I feel the same way. I still use Keepass for logons over multiple nested RDP connections where the clipboard does not work. This feature would be a neck breaker for other password managers. Until when, do you think, such a feature could be available?

You can make a Gnome Shell Extension which will put an icon on the Gnome top bar for autofill in apps for Gnome Users

@tgreer One very important aspect:

I am using KeePassXC to log into various apps like

• Gaming clients like Steam
  • Games
  • Applications that require regular authentication
  • Database tools

If Bitwarden only relies on the API feature to log into applications, then Bitwarden is totally useless for these applications because I doubt that all gaming clients and games will implement the “login via API” way.
So I need a feature that is working like the Auto-Type in KeePass.

@tgreer Can you please answer, if you plan to implement the API-Only way or also implement something like the Auto-Type feature?
Thank you!

2 Likes

We haven’t gone into detailed evaluations on this feature just yet, as it’s a little further out on the roadmap.

1 Like

I think auto type will be more suitable. There are still user on old versions of Windows. I don’t know what they will do without the API if Bitwarden were to bring this feature.

Autofill Option in Windows Application instead of browser extension

My MSP has migrated to Bitwarden from KeePass and the most missed feature by my engineers is the autofill option direct from the application.

Because in KeePass this feature is in the main application, it could be used for remote desktop sessions when accessing customer servers etc. instead of just web pages.

KeePass autofill requires that you place your cursor in the first field in which you need to enter credentials and then you open KeePass and click on the credentials you want to enter and hit the autofill button and it automatically switches back to the last window you were using and starts entering the credentials needed.

This would be a massive time saver for people like my teams who are constantly logging into remote servers etc.

This feature has been requested earlier, please see: Auto-type/Autofill for logging into other desktop apps

@OLLI_S You started this topic, so just to be courious: how many applications do you have where you need Auto-Type?

Olli_S has mentioned some applications.
To be honest with you I have only come across Zoom and Webex where I have to enter my credentials. I just copy and paste it. I don’t really find it annoying.
But we must consider other users, there may be people who want this feature especially IT admins, enterprise customers, etc.

I have about 20 desktop applications on my private PC, where I have to log in manually.
At work I have about 10 - 20 applications (but I am not sure yet).
So in total about 30 - 40 applications.

Do you currently use Keepass just for logging in to the desktop apps?

Up to now I used KeePassXC as my only password manager (1.053 password entries, 158 folders) to log into desktop apps and to log into websites.

But I am currently switching to Bitwarden (adding all passwords in Bitwarden manually by letting KeePassXC fill the login form and Bitwarden store the new password, then adding all missing information from KeePassXC and then changing the password).

But this forces me to have 40 passwords twice (in KeePassXC and Bitwarden).
And to take the KeePassXC database always with me (at work, at my laptop).
This is one reason why I switched to Bitwarden (database is always with me).

I am using MacPass in combination with auto-type on a “per process title” basis.
As a software developer, I can auto-type my password in my terminal while connected through VPN and SSH to a remote server where I have to add a complex password.

So actually, the potential of having such an auto-type feature which uses process titles would be a killer feature. As this is missing, I am currently staying with the keepass format in combination with MacPass.

btw you know that you can simply export on keepass as .xml all your credencials and import on bitwarden’s web vault, don’t you?

1 Like

Yes, I know this, but I import manually so Bitwarden “learns” the field names (when I log into websites and Bitearden asks if the entry should be storered, then also the field names are stored in the database, at least I think so).
And this way I can clean up my database a bit.

1 Like

+1 for this feature (available in other password managers as well, e.g. Sticky Password and Roboform)

2 Likes

+1 from me too. As an MSP this was the most used feature in KeePass before we migrated to BitWarden.
Useful for RDP sessions etc.

2 Likes