Auto-Sync on all platformes

Can we have an automatic Sync on “app open” ?
When you view the app (or extension), it could check if their is a flag saying you need to sync, and if it is, it calls a sync of the database.

Usually when you do a change to a password, you are not on multiple devices at the same time.
So you would ;

• Change a password
  • Server-side the account got flagged as it needs a sync
  • Open the mobile app (or another browser with the extension)
  • App checks if account is flagged for update
  • If it is, does a sync.

This seems better than sync every x min automatically,

Hmm, I totally understand ‘why’ you’d want that for your usercase. But what about user who quickly wants to grab password from BW (unrelated password to the one that was updated) and it starts syncing, effectively slowing you down? With poor mobile connection, even checking if sync is required could cause 2-3s delay.

I guess it could be done really in the background though, but then it might not be the best solution in your user case, as you wouldn’t have any indication that content was already synced. This can lead to behavior like: ‘check if it’s there’, not there, check again and it’s there because sync just finished.

This isn’t a bad idea. But on the other hand, I’d suggest forcibly shortcuts or manual actions like swiping the vault from up to down (for mobile app, just as I said here) or press F5 or anything else as shortcut keys or even click a notorious “Sync” button on the top of the vault’s window (for desktop/extension/web).

1 Like

I’m surprised this hasn’t been there from the beginning, automatic/scheduled syncing with a server is almost one of the first things a cloud based app should have built in.

I made some changes to my wife’s vault a week ago, today she called me saying the new logins weren’t there. I had her sync from the app settings, and it hadn’t synced since April 3rd, that’s almost a week without any communication between her phone and the server.

4 Likes

Definitely need this

Yes, this could be a prime feature. Nothing is more frustrating then saving passwords and not having them synced when you are on location.

Having tried different apps in this current time updates would take seconds. SafeTocloud for example holds over 250 of my passwords and it takes less then 2 seconds to update even over 4g.

Maurice

The browser extension indicates the time of the last sync under Settings > Sync. As a new user I have observed this occurring automatically when the database is changed, but haven’t witnessed it often enough yet to be sure it happens regularly.

I don’t understand why this still has not been addressed. Github has had multiple issues about this and already back in 2016, so it is not like the developers aren’t aware of this.

Not only it is annoying to have to do this frequently manually, but because of this and the lack of conflict detection, it is easy to lose information by rewriting to an entry that was not up-to-date before editing.

1 Like

The browser extension indicates the time of the last sync under Settings > Sync. As a new user I have observed this occurring automatically when the database is changed, but haven’t witnessed it often enough yet to be sure it happens regularly.

You have? How quickly since the last update? Platform?

According to this explanation from Github from 2016, at least the Chrome extension polls the server every 6 hours.

The extension with poll the server every 6 hours for new updates. We could reduce the polling to a shorter interval but that would lead to a lot of unnecessary traffic to the server (since 99% of polls will result in no changes). The decision for 6 hours was to try and keep traffic down and give you the latest updates 4 times per day. If you made a change that you know you need and it is not listed you can simply go to the settings tab and do a manual sync.

Perhaps this has changed since, but in any case, the syncing isn’t automatic, hence it is poll updating instead of push updating.

Syncing improvements are now rolling out with browser extensions 1.31, desktop 1.7, and web vault 2.2. We now use web sockets to receive instant sync pushes across client applications.

5 Likes

What does this mean for Organizations? If I add (or edit) an item and share it to my Organization, how quickly will that addition/change show up for other users in the Organization?

I am running the latest versions of the browser extension,desktop and mobile app and the syncing feature does not work. Why must I manually sync between my devices if I update a password on one application to get it to show up on the others? I am a premium member and would at least expect this simple feature to work. I love your app and want to stay using it but if this feature alone you cannot get to work I may as well go back to my other application I was using that has this feature.

Now the browser plug-in version is 1.43.3, but there is still no automatic synchronization function. I think it is better to provide a few options for users to manually set how often to update it.

@kspearrin @tgreer Now the browser plug-in version is 1.45, but there is still no automatic synchronization function. I think it is better to provide a few options for users to manually set how often to update it. I am really needing this feature , since I change browser often and i hate to manually sync it often. please keep this priority and do it ASAP

Hi @Charlotte_Taylor, welcome! The Browser (and all apps) do have automatic sync for personal vaults (org vaults are 30-minute auto sync), however it seems the syncing is experiencing some issues at the moment.

We’re investigating and posting any updates here: https://status.bitwarden.com/

1 Like

Auto-sync is back up now, please let us know if you have continued issues.

I find it really frustrating that I manually have to menu-dive and press the sync button whenever I have added an entry on one device and instantly want to use it on another. Is there any situation where this is a feature rather than an annoyance?

1 Like

It’s annoying me, too. When creating a new entry everytime I have to sync the devices to get this new entry asap. Why there is no push which starts when an entry is created, changed or deleted? :confused:

1 Like

I made a pull request for the mobile app that allow syncing the vault with pull down gesture instead of going into settings to sync from the button.

Currently, the pull down gesture was only to refresh local data, but with this option, this will also sync from remote server and by this way update any data.

The auto-sync should works with push notifications, but in case fails/custom server this option should be helpful.

This feature should be available on the next PlayStore/AppStore release.

3 Likes

When a new item in an Organization is created, it won’t automatically sync to the user accounts currently logged in and using Bitwarden.

Every time someone adds a new item in our Organization, I have to go to the Settings menu and click on the Sync button in order to get it synced.

I’d like for it to happen automatically, please.