Additional item types (pre-defined)

I have the same question about year later…
These types are available only on Premise or something?

I tried to found more types, but without results. I have premium account…

1 Like

Hey @iAmMember additional item types are on the roadmap, stay tuned! :+1:

Hey @bw-admin thanks for ansawer!
Looking forward! Additional item types are for me now the most needful option in Bitwarden :smiley: so i will waiting impatient for it :smiley:

1 Like

I paid for a year of a Bitwarden family account to bake it off against my 1Password. Let me preface, I strongly, strongly dislike 1Password: Their customer service is unfriendly and arrogant. The pricing is borderline predatory, and how they’ve treated customers who purchased perpetual licenses is abhorrent.

After coming across this thread, and seeing a request that is…

– Four years old, to design, implement and deploy new database models plus the necessary front-end refactor work is confusing. Looking at Bitwarden’s GitHub release cadence, there are consistent patch releases, and semi-regular dot releases. I understand as a small company that scope is hard to manage, but with an open source community that is eager to contribute, why not encourage the community to contribute to larger changes like this? I have a blanket assumption in my head the average BW user is more technically adept than most, understands OSS, and would probably be happy to contribute on larger workstreams like this request, if some direction was given from BW on the help it needs/wants to get these requests over the finish line.

– Indicative of a pattern that plainly ignores community feedback (Feature Requests - Bitwarden Community Forums). As an outsider, it feels like a lack of customer empathy and lack of resourcing to working on the core product could be an issue. (The GitHub releases page shows many enterprise and saas related functionality being implemented for the server repo).

…I’m going to very sadly stick with 1Password when it comes time to renew my BW or 1P accounts. I love Open Source software. Personally, OSS is what pays my salary, so I feel uncomfortable making this pointed criticism towards this product that is well-intentioned, but just doesn’t deliver on basic needs. I’d pay 2x the cost of my 1P subscription to move to an OSS product that has a decent saas offering. If I can’t use the product as myself, and others want to use this product, then I’m going to move away, and stop patiently waiting and hoping with fingers crossed that the folks who decide the roadmap will eventually organize work towards what customers are asking for.

3 Likes

I hear you @classicwebdog, but I do think it is unfair to directly compare a $7 Billion dollar company with literally hundreds on their development team to Bitwarden, the new guy on the block, who is a small startup with a dozen or two developers and has only been around for a handful of years. To suggest that Bitwarden ignores their customer base is grossly misguided, in my opinion. They just haven’t built up their company yet, so you really can’t expect them to be as agile or responsive as one of the huge and established players like 1Password. But they are doing more and more every month. I’m very happy about that, and despite their small size, I think they offer a better product, a better service, and better support than 1Password, which I used before Bitwarden.

And PS: additional item types are in the works right now and coming soon. See the BW roadmap.

Thanks for the feedback @classicwebdog, while additional item types is on the current roadmap, I would also invite you to come and chat with us on June 23rd for the Bitwarden Community Forum.

We will be covering what goes into making the Bitwarden roadmap, but it is also an open forum to hear from you, so bring any questions and concerns to chat about with fellow users and the Bitwarden team.

1 Like

Hello,

I’m also glad to hear, that more item types are on the roadmap. I’ve migrated from 1Password to Enpass and now to Bitwarden (Premium + organisation for family sharing and files). At the moment, it feels a bit less comfortable than Enpass, because I miss also types, for my licenses, bank accounts, Linux logins (like passphrases for encrypted disks) etc. pp. I have to put most of them into “Secure notes” …

cu denny

It is just in the past year or two that Bitwarden has been in a position to be able to add additional DevOps. And honestly, the developement cycles and feature additions in that time have been staggeringly increased! Just look back at the release notes and compare that to the GitHub project commits (for server) prior to 1-2 years ago.

Prior to that it was literally one guy (Kyle Spearrin) and whatever the community decided to pitch in on. It is absolutely wonderful that Bitwarden has grown into a status of “seems just like 1Password as a company”, but the fact is that 1Password (Initial release June 18, 2006) has been in development for a lot longer than Bitwarden (Initial release August 10, 2016) and has had a huge staff for DevOps for many many years.

Bitwarden is playing catch-up on many features and has to prioritize things based on many factors. They have already caught up in many ways, which is why they seem like they are in the same class as the big established players already. Give em some time and latitude and I imagine they will catch up and surpass on other features as well.

Edit: Typos and additional context.

6 Likes

I like this idea. Personally, I’d be happy with being able to create my own templates with associated fields. I see this as custom Secure Note records with custom names and custom fields. I would like to see the field types expanded:

string, numeric, hidden, date/time, long text

I can’t come over to this until software licenses is a thing (category)
I love the open source nature of this but this is a deal breaker for me and my situation.
I will be back when it has this feature.

Thanks for the feedback @John_Swihart! Additional item types is on the roadmap (including software licences), and eventually customizable vault item templates. If you are a developer, you might also be interested in joining the waitlist for the Secrets Manager.

1 Like

Great to hear that this is being worked on! I do wish to know if there is work being done on allowing users to upload standalone files without attaching them. I’d love to be able to upload certain documents to my vault, but some of the files I’d upload don’t really fit with any of my password entries. If this sort of feature existed, I would seriously consider buying the premium version of Bitwarden.

Hey @LorenDB there is an open feature request here for voting and discussion: Bitwarden Drive | Upload to folder rather than vault item

3 Likes

Thanks for linking that. I couldn’t find any open issues like that myself.

1 Like

hello community and developers,

good to read that additional pre-defined types as well as customizable item templates are being worked on.
I’m using 1password stand-alone for some years now … and approx. for the same time, I am looking for a better alternative … not saying i was not satisfied with 1password, but … :smiley:
Having only four types of templates to choose from in the first place was a major downer for me considering switching to Bidwarden … in fact it’s been the dealbreaker in the recent years.
I really like to switch to BW and host one instance myself. I’d love to have multiple item-type-templates as described in the feature request.
This is me looking forward switching to Bitwarden premium, once the feature has been implemented. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t wait for this. It is a struggle storing everything as a note. Willing to put in the time to convert everything when the time comes.

1 Like

I think these need to be 100% added as they’re used rather commonly:

• bank account
  • API/SSH key
  • Wi-Fi
  • software/other? license details
  • date/time
    But custom templates + a way to import commonly used templates, maybe stored in a GH repository where community could contribute, would be perfect.
1 Like

I’m curious on when additional Types will get added to Bitwarden? A year ago it was said that they will be available in 2022. This is a feature that is really needed. I have a very difficult time finding the information that I need because its dumped pretty much together. Having folders is nice, but I’d love to be able to sort that content into separate types.

Hopefully it will be soon

Thanks

Daryl

Caution: as a new LP emigrant, I have been doing a lot of clean up after 12+ years with LastPass and I noticed that many of the LP categories weren’t either used or had been used years ago and then never touched again. So, it’s like you are rooting through a filing cabinet with lots of folders to figure out what is where.

I just completed removing many of these imported categories yesterday and have liked Bitwarden’s simpler, cleaner approach. If you want to add new categories, you can currently do so via folders. Go nuts! If BW developers are going to add new Pre-Defined Item types and corresponding templates, may I suggest that the user doesn’t see this empty category sitting there, cluttering up your window, if you haven’t created a template for it. Login, Cards, ID, and Secure Notes are sufficient for me. I do see the value of some of these other categories mentioned. So, go ahead and create the templates. Just don’t require the rest of us to have to scroll through empty, locked top-level categories if we don’t use them. Only allow those categories to appear if you create a template within them, similar to the Folder approach.

While LP had tonnes of features, many of which I loved, it had become an unwieldy product. A mess and, ultimately, unsustainable, as the data breach proves. 1Password, which I have tried yearly similar to Bitwarden before making the switch to BW permanently, still has a messy and ugly UI. Don’t underestimate the value of a clean, lean product.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, the lack of custom templates makes this a tough sell for my corporate needs. When I need someone to add SFTP credentials that contain a private key, or SAS strings for Azure blob storage, these require a lot more parts than a simple username and password. If I don’t have templates to guide my users, they will probably not enter all of the required information and we will discover this when it’s an emergency and we don’t have what we need stored. Custom templates created by admins are a must. Give up on the autofill for custom templates. Save new custom templates. Edited templates get versioned. Only old templates not being used can be deleted, Store the data and template version as json. It’s a pretty straight forward feature.