Why won't this banking login page work with Bitwarden?

Bitwarden will not fill in this login page correctly and I don’t know why, grrr!!

1. This is the login page: BankSA Internet Banking - Logon
  2. It requires three pieces of information to successfully login, Customer Access number, Security Number and Password.
  3. The Access number and Password are correctly entered via Bitwarden.
  4. I had to create a Custom Field for the securityNumber. Using ‘‘Inspect’’ in the browser, its id is securityNumber and it is 4 digits.
  5. If I let Bitwarden fill in the securityNumber, the login fails. If I copy and paste it from Bitwarden it also fails. If I edit the securityNumber in Bitwarden and type it in again, it still fails. If I type in the same security number manually into the login page it is SUCCESSFUL.
  6. I don’t understand why Bitwarden cannot fill the same number successfuly for me.

Can anybody help me here? thank you community.

1 Like

Hi @Gocat - welcome!

I can try to help, but I don’t have an account at this bank. Can you PM me your Card number, Security number, and Password?

NO - I am totally kidding!

Seriously, though - after Bitwarden autofills all three fields, try this: go to the security number field, and after the characters Bitwarden has filled, add a space, then hit Backspace on the keyboard to delete it, then hit Login. Out of curiosity, does that work?

4 Likes

I’m glad that you were kidding!!!

Yes, your suggestion worked!!

But why? What does this tell us? Is it a bug in Bitwarden?

Nice find David.

3 Likes

Glad you appreciate a quirky sense of humour!

Regarding the login issues, I have experienced this on a handful of sites. It seems to be some sort of script that detects keyboard input, probably as a deterrent to brute force attacks by automated logins (bots). The downside is that autofill won’t work, and I don’t think this problem is unique to Bitwarden.

I would love to hear of a solution if anyone has one!

3 Likes

Ah, interesting. ok, that makes sense.

So it looks like this is not a fault of Bitwarden or me! Ok then, I will just have to use that workaround or just type in that securityNumber each time - no big drama!

thank you.

3 Likes

Thanks @Gocat and @dh024 !

We’re trying to keep track of some of website…eccentricities… @Gocat any chance you could provide detail in the Google sheet on this Github issue? It helps us keep tabs on items that aren’t behaving as expected :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pleasure - done!!

3 Likes