View attachments without downloading

I have found my own solution for myself. For each attachment, I create an encrypted Vera Crypt container of the appropriate size and pack the attachment into it.
To open it, I use the “EDS lite” app on the smartphone and “VeraCrypt” on the PC.
This means that my data is never stored unencrypted. A little awkward, but safe.

VeraCrypt Wikipedia

EDS lite

2 Likes

(Love Bitwarden, great product).

Just having preview as a special case would be a big improvement: Single attachment, one image format. Could be PNG but whatever is considered safer as long as one knows what the format is that enables inline viewing, and that you can only have one per note. PDF is irrelevant for my use case.

The use case is an image of an essential document like a passport or drivers license. A set of secret codes for a banking app. I’d like to bring it up quickly when I need it and not have to fiddle with downloads and have to remember to wipe the download.

8 Likes

It’s absolutely mindboggling to me that Bitwarden offers to store items in an encrypted form but then forces you to download them in an unencrypted version that you have to remember to delete yourself.

10 Likes

Please help address this security risk. Downloading the “attachment” in anywhere increase the risk of exposure. Especially, we can’t really “erase” data permanently anywhere for good these days. The more places we have to store at, the higher risk we are exposing ourselves for data breach. Each time we view the attachments, we are exposing ourselves for data breach.
I believe Bitwarden’s commitment is to have their client a safe and secure working environment, isn’t it?

6 Likes

I agree and this feature will be the deciding basis upon which I will renew my membership next year!

Attachment functionality

• Add attachment is not intuitive for the users.
  • There is no attachment option on edit item form.
  • Downloading attachment is not intuitive and is limited only for web dashboard.
  • User should be able to add attachment on all platforms.
  • UI and accessibility need to be improved.

Add attachment

• User should be able to add attachment on all platforms (currently is limited to only web dashboard)

Download attachment

• User should be able to download attachment from all platforms.

Feature function

• Better user experience.
  • If is harder to use most of the users will not use this option.
  • For some users this a crucial feature and they will choose to leave Bitewarden

Vigorously agree that the functionality of the “attachment” feature is in need of improvement:

1. From the iPhone app :
a) I can not simply select an attachment and view contents on screen. The only icon is the “trash can” icon.

2. From the Windows app :
a) I can not add an attachment to an item;
b) I can not simply select an attachment and view contents on screen. My only option is to download and save the attachment to my PC and then open the document to view it’s contents

3. From the Web Dashboard :
a) I can simply select a PDF formatted attachment and view the contents on the screen. (YEA!)
b) I can not simply select a JPG formatted attachment and view contents on screen. My only option is to download and save the attachment to my PC and then open the document to view it’s contents.
— I have not yet attempted to attach any other formatted attachment

The ability to include attachment to items is the primary reason why I purchased the PREMIUM service

1 Like

I also want to be able to see attachments (i.e., JPG or PDF image of a social security card, credit card, etc.) viewable inline without having to download it first. This is the reason I signed up for Premium Service only to my dismay discover this is not doable. It is not explained in advance of signing up either. Being that I upload a file in the first place, I almost never have a reason to download what I upload. I want to be able to view images inline when using BW on whichever platform. 2021-12-21 @ 11:40:54 JST

1 Like

There is a relevant “Feature Request” for this here. Feel free to add your upvote to get support behind it, hopefully it will be something added shortly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Adding viewers for popular file types–specifically image types (JPG, PNG, GIF) to be viewed when they are attached to a secure note without having to download them would be incredibly helpful.

Having just moved from LastPass, I had assumed this is what would happen when I attached file types. I had been using LastPass as a place to hold a copy of my COVID-19 vaccination card, as it is frequently requested at events, and tried to do the same with BitWarden.

1 Like

Adding my vote as a paid user and looking forward to this feature

Has this been implemented recently? I just tried it again and now when i choose the option to “open” in the android app it shows the attachment (.jpg) in the gallery app, but doesn’t save it to the phone. Or then I just can’t seem to find it :sweat_smile:
When I last tested it a month ago it automatically saved it into the downloaded folder

My most wanted feature. The whole adding attachments flow is in need of improvements (i.e. not so hidden in menus, ability to rename files once uploaded, viewable without downloading).

2 Likes

+1 from me too. I’ve been waiting for this for years. I loved this feature on lastpass.

1 Like

I subscribed to premium today for the sole reason of using attachments to keep copies of ID cards etc. Quite disappointed in the functionality on iOS. My first thought was that downloading is likely a security risk for sensitive documents. I can understand not being able to support every doc type for an in app preview, but photos and PDFs would be a good start. The quick look workaround mentioned above works, but it is still clunky and has me wondering where temp copies of files are stored and for how long.

I’ve helped at least 10 other people setup and start using Bitwarden and this is the first time I have started to think that maybe they should consider LastPass because of this feature gap. I think having quick and secure access to photos of membership cards, passports etc is a feature that will only be more and more important going forward. Hoping this will get some priority for improvement.

2 Likes

Hi
Any chance you are getting closer to a solution, please?
I’ve been using LastPass for many years, and decided to move over to Bitwarden.
I realized I needed the payed version to get attachments (acceptable), so I purchased.
Now I realized that I need to download attachments for viewing, which I think is a security issue, as the confidential files now is brought outside the (hopefully) safe Bitwarden-app-container, stored locally unencrypted on the client device.
As much as I really want, I can’t really use Bitwarden until this security flaw is solved.
All the best,
Peter

3 Likes

To Bitwarden,

Please implement this feature - view attachments without download. We really need it. I’m willing to pay for it. I actually converted my free account to a paid family subscription. But after finding out we have to download attachments when viewing, I went back to the free Bitwarden account. Thank you for the consideration.

3 Likes

Firstly, please vote for this feature. It is definitely needed.

Secondly, a workaround to securely download, if you use Signal, is to send to your “notes to self” to view attachments in there. You can set disappearing messages on your notes as an extra layer of security. Signal is fully encrypted.

2 Likes

I have just paid my premium subscription so that I can add attachments only to find that there is no way to view the attachments (without downloading). Could I please add my vote that it would be a great addition to have a simple view ability for any attachment.

5 Likes

I think this feature should really be implemented. The ability to preview files without the need for downloading will offer better overall usability for the users and they can switch easily between the uploaded attachments and choose the file that they need to preview.

I would go premium for sure if this feature is really considered.

2 Likes