After upgrading Bitwarden for Android to v2023.9.1 (7790) the vault constantly locks itself. I have the lock option disabled, however, when I open the app or try to autofill a password in another app, it is locked and I have to enter my master password to unlock it.
Is there a way to resolve this? Is anyone else having this issue?
UPDATE: I forgot to mention that I also have my work account added to my app.
I found that when I closed the app and opened it I would be prompted for the master password, however, when I tap the icon for my account in the top right, I see both my accounts. My work account is listed as “unlocked”. I can open it without the password. Then I tap the account icon again to list my accounts and open my main account, it says it is unlocked and I can open the vault without a password prompt.
So, it seems that even though I have my vaults set to not lock, I get prompted for the password of my MAIN account to open it directly but can open it when selecting my other (work) vault. This seems to be a bug. Can anyone else replicate?
I don’t know about the work account, but the same it’s happening to me since the app has been updated a week ago. It is always locked and it asks for password, pin or fingerprint (depending on what I set up). Lock timeout is set to never and battery optimisations are disabled.
Yes, that is exactly it!
Every time I try to log into a website, or app, I see the Bitwarden icon and it says vault locked. When I open the Bitwarden app I have to enter the master password. Only then can I auto-fill the passwords into other apps or websites.
I have battery optimization off as well. I noticed yesterday that when I unlock it and swipe the app closed then re-open it, it was locked immediately.
I am having the same issue on Android v 2023.9.1 - the app does not respect my lock/timeout settings and setting battery use to unrestricted/setting the app to never sleep does nothing. Am using a Samsung Galaxy S23+ running Android 13
I didn’t see the issue addressed in the release notes, but I wanted to try it in hopes it had been fixed since there have now been 2 releases.
I just hoped I could save someone the frustration of upgrading then having to downgrade again.
I don’t even know if they started working on this issue. There’s no mention of it being in progress on GitHub, however they do use some other platform internally to track their work and not necessarily on GitHub
I forgot to check GitHub for any updates. But I have been really happy with BitWarden overall and now my company uses them for all corporate accounts, so I don’t mind waiting till they fix the vault issue.
This one discusses iOS not respecting vault timeout. I don’t know if a specific one for android was started or if this one can be modified to include android since this thread addresses the mobile clients anyway.