✅ Touch ID support for macOS

Yes, need this before I can move to Bitwarden.

Just got a Mac w/ Touch ID, and now I will kill for this.

Yes, please! This seems essential for a password manager. With even the free Enpass tool having it by now, I’m surprised it’s missing here.

Life is short. So there is no need to waste you time on inputting master password after you’ve got a Touch ID. Isn’t saving life one of those key features why we use password manager? Please…help us… T_T

1 Like

Yes, please! This is the only feature that is keeping me away from buying bitwarden. TouchId was such a life changer in 1Password…

Just switched from 1Password - and this is actually the ONE thing that is really missing in bitwarden! The TouchID saves so much time :timer_clock:! PLEASE implement that:pleading_face:!

1 Like

As Bitwarden is open source, I checked if this was something that can be easily done. Unfortunately, because the desktop app is based on Electron, there would need to be some Electron support for this. There seems to be some initial steps at integrating Electron apps with the system touch ID, but it’s really not that far along. It would be a great feature to have, but it might need a native macOS app to do this.

2 Likes

Absolutely needed, when you have the master password set as a random long string of characters it’s, well, not very useable.

Master password should only really be needed if there’s an auth lockout if Touch ID is available.

I’m half tempted to implement touchid in electron myself…

I think developer can not handle feature requests from users. He should hire more developers and deliver these most requested features fast.

It’s not about more developers.

Bitwarden relies on electron (https://github.com/electron). In its current form, electron doesn’t seem to support TouchID, which makes it really hard for developers that use electron to use it in their electron-based apps.

Furthermore, BW is an open source project and your contribution is welcome if you feel this could be improved.

2 Likes

:+1:

I understand why this is not yet supportable, however.

Soon!

Support seems to be coming in Electron!

Please implement this in Bitwarden as soon as support in Electron is ready!

2 Likes

Support seems to be here now in electron!

Considering the API still doesn’t support secure enclave this probably shouldn’t be used to unlock the DB initially.
I did recently see some commits in the desktop repo recently that seems to indicate that soft pin unlock is supported now. Maybe touch id support in electron is usable in a similar way?

2 Likes

Holding me back too. Though I am trialing and I will see how I get on.

Good to hear it might be coming soon now Electron supports it.

Adding my support for Touch ID in the macOS app and in the macOS plugins for Firefox and Chrome.

Just to echo what I posted elsewhere:

4 Likes

I also want touchid / linux fingerprint / win hello support, without I’ll stay with 1password. But I also paid for Bitwarden, even I’m not using it right now, to support developers. I would recommend this to all of you who want this feauture, $10 per year is nothing.

1 Like

Suggestion to mitigate this: use a diceware passphrase for your master password. Longer, but much easier to remember. Also easier to type. Doesn’t directly address the request, but at least makes the present situation less painful.

the related PR was merged in the v5 master branch and v5 release version of electron seems palnned on Tue, 2019-Apr-23