TOTP quick access from main view on browser extension and desktop versions

Long time user, new premium subscriber and first time poster here. I searched the forums for this topic, but haven’t seen it come up.

I started migrating most of the 2FA to bitwarden and I really like the iOS version’s quick access to TOTP verification codes. I notice that both browser extension (mainly using firefox) and desktop version (linux) don’t offer any view that make them function like a simple “authenticator” application.

I’d like to see a list of all verification enabled accounts and quick view of current TOTP codes be implemented across the board.

9 Likes

I like the new feature of having all Verification Codes in a separate section on he Mobile App.
I use a lot of websites with TOTP setup and mostly I work from my desktop/laptop.
It is a tedious task when I have to search the websites by name, go to the details and copy the TOTP code to login. If the feature is implemented on the Web app or Desktop app, it would make my life easy to just go to one place and copy the code from there.

4 Likes

Like the title I would like have a TOTP folder in the homepage like in the mobile version

1 Like

On Browser Extension, Under “Tabs” pls add “Verification codes” for TOTPs. This feature exist on Mobile app, looking for that to be added to browser as well.

Will also be good to have the ability to click one of those and codes are automatically entered on the active browser screen

@Raja_N Welcome to the forum!

On the Tab view in the browser extension, you can click on one of the login accounts that match to the active browser window, and it’s TOTP value will be auto-filled.*  You can also use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+L to auto-fill the TOTP code.*  And if you have already used Ctrl+Shift+L to auto-fill your username and password, then you can use Ctrl+V to paste the TOTP code from the clipboard.

If none of these options work for you, please describe your use-case.

*Auto-filling of TOTP codes is a recently implemented feature, which doesn’t yet work on all websites.

Thanks GRB. Appreciate the quick response. In addition to the shortcuts you mentioned, i also use TOTP generated codes on other devices, like mobile phone or desktop applications which is not integrated to browser extension. In such scenario how its organised on mobile app (Verification codes on the home page) is extremely handy. Adding such feature on browser extension (Tabs page) will help us immensely.

Pls let me know if any clarification is needed on the use case

Sorry, there are a number of discrepancies between your first and second post that are making it difficult to understand what you are proposing.

…but in your first post you said that “this exist on Mobile app”. So do you need a new feature to support your use of TOTP on mobile devices?

…but in your first post, you want clicking a code to make it be “automatically entered on the active browser screen” (emphasis added). Did you mean that you want the TOTP code to be auto-filled into a desktop app?

If so, would the TOTP be needed only when logging in to the desktop app, or are there other uses for the TOTP besides 2-step login on these desktop apps?

Finally, whatever the feature is that you are requesting, what is the reason that you want this function implemented in the Bitwarden browser extension, as opposed to the Bitwarden Desktop app?

Disappointed that this doesn’t have more votes. Authy’s retiring their desktop app soon so Bitwarden was my next choice, only to find that its desktop TOTP is fairly cumbersome, compared to the mobile app.
I got the desktop app specifically so I wouldn’t have to unlock my phone every time I wanted to sign into something. Had I known it was cumbersome, I wouldn’t’ve gotten a subscription / would’ve looked into other alternatives first.

This would be a nice improvement for Bitwarden desktop app, I like the TOTP list view on the mobile app. Also moving over from Authy who is killing off their desktop app in March 2024. Bitwarden Desktop would be slick if it had a similar list view of all of my TOTP codes.

3 Likes

@Zedrin & @witty.sand Welcome to the forum!

I found some other duplicates of this request and merged them here.

I wish you best of luck getting traction with your feature request, but personally I don’t understand why the requested function is necessary or how it would be used. Feel free to share some example use-cases.

Keep in mind this is in the context of Authy sunsetting their desktop app, so I’ll compare to that.

Presently on desktop, if something requests a TOTP, I open up my Authy desktop app, can immediately identify the key I need (as the list is exclusively for TOTPs), I click it, and can click to immediately copy the TOTP as needed. I do not need to enter any search, the most I ever have to do (rarely) is scroll down slightly, since it’s a much more condensed list. I have maybe 15 accounts that use TOTPs that I have on Authy.

With Bitwarden’s desktop app, presently I have to open the app, and first need to search for the relevant account that has the TOTP. I have well over 100 passwords stored, and I have to search through them to find the ones that also have TOTPs attached. Usually this will involve typing in the name in the search bar, which is where the majority of the slowdown comes from. Additionally, I have to select the account first before the TOTP becomes copyable, and the key is present in a list of other pieces of other sign-in information.

I can mitigate the search by putting accounts with TOTPs to their own list, but accounts can only be put in one list at a time, so it’s at the expense of other forms of organization.

If every account I had used a TOTP, then the search functionality would need to be used more in Authy as well, but not every service has 2FA or even is significant enough to warrant it.

On the mobile Bitwarden app, however, I don’t have to utilize the search function as I can just click the the “TOTP” list button. Additionally, the codes are present immediately without needing to pull up the full item details, and can be copied directly. This is fantastically designed and I’d love to see it carried over to the desktop app; unfortunately, this is limited to the mobile app, so a copy-paste functionality doesn’t carry over to PC. Plus, I specifically want to use the desktop app so I don’t need to wake/unlock my phone every time.

Additionally, I want to stress that not all accounts where you sign in are done via browsers, so Bitwarden’s auto-fill in via the extension won’t work. Anything that has its own launcher or portal requires you to pull up the information manually. I can understand this feature being less useful on the browser extension, since in that case you can just use auto-fill, but that’s why I’d like to see it on the desktop app, where it’d speed up sign-ins on other applications and auto fill isn’t an option.

4 Likes

Hello grb

I can add some detail here about use case. For my job I have numerous things I have to log into and provide a TOTP code, but it’s not in local web browser where the browser extension could do that for me on desktop. And for some other weird reasons I have cases where the password is not stored in my local Bitwarden vault, but I have to manage a TOTP code on my own somehow.

Examples:

-Teleport logging on the cli, I have to paste in the TOTP code.
-VPN client that isn’t web based where I have to paste in a TOTP code
-Contract work where I have to work for a customer inside their own Virtual Desktop VDI instance where I cannot load browser plugins.
-Contract work where customer makes me use their own password vault (Keeper Enterprise) but for some reason doesn’t let me also keep the TOTP code there.

All of this is IT people use cases more than typical consumer who might be using Bitwarden. For a variety of reasons I have to paste TOTP codes into things that aren’t the local web browser, probably 10-20 times each work day.

Authy has had a desktop and mobile app combo that syncs TOTP codes and the desktop has never been “great” but worked “well enough” where it had a compact list of my TOTP code accounts and I could get a code with a couple clicks.

With Authy killing off the desktop version for Mac and Windows, myself and probably quite a lot of other IT people are looking for a suitable replacement. There’s various mobile-only options that offer some kind of syncing between mobile devices like Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator. There’s other popular ones like 2fas.com. None of them however have a convenient desktop product where it’s easy to click on the TOTP codes and paste those codes somewhere else.

Bitwarden is working nicely for me as a replacement for this, but the desktop app just requires 2-3 clicks where I think it could be one for this use case. I suspect many former Authy users would be very glad to pay $10/year to use Bitwarden instead!!

The UX providing a list of TOTP codes where any of those can be copied with a single click action is already present in the mobile app. This of course suggests a developer thought a compact view of TOTP codes was useful at some point. Since the code already exists in the mobile app, I would venture a guess that copying the same UI concept to the Desktop app would not be terribly difficult.

At the very least, it would provide feature parity between the mobile app and the desktop app for Bitwarden!

Thanks

4 Likes

Bitwarden is starting to see an influx of users such as myself due to it being one if not the only TOTP alternatives to Authy. It has very similar functionality with TOTP sync between phones and desktop.

The desktop program really needs a dedicated TOTP page like is seen on the phone app so that you can quickly get to the TOTPs.

Bitwarden has the ability to corner the market here and many people would be happy to pay for the functionality that Bitwarden is offering with these added features.

A few simple UX changes and people would only be suggesting this product.