✅ Soft delete items to "trash"

Unbelievable that this is not in here. First time using a password manager, so this feature was missed in the consolidation phase, but now an employee accidently deleted all passwords he had access to…
This just makes me reconsider the choice we made!

1 Like

+1 for this feature.

1 Like

Yes, another vote for this feature. Having a soft-delete or Recycle Bin will be a tremendous improvement.

I’m currently testing this tool as a potential switch from KeePass with a goal of being able to easily share “secrets” with family members. The current feature set is very promising but falls sharply short due to this missing feature. Testing shows me that shared passwords can be deleted with no recovery path.

…No Bueno!

1 Like

Just an FYI. Bitwarden now has excellent backup/export options integrated into it.

A workaround (which everyone really should be doing anyways) is to regularly export your vault, encrypt it, and put the encrypted file on a little USB flash drive. You can even put the file on an encrypted volume on a USB flash drive.

If you delete an item by mistake, you’ll have a backup. Also, in the rare event that something goes horribly wrong with bitwarden, you’ll have a backup of all your data.

Note that bitwarden’s export function exports individuals and organizations separately, so if you have both, you need to remember to export each separately.

+1

When I think about it, I call it “Graveyard/Cemetery feature”. In an ideal setting you could distinguish between “delete” and “retire”, with the possibility (for Admins) to make the “delete” impossible.

1 Like

So, soon it will be 2 years since the initial request,
if we dont count 6 months the feature was requested on github
Does bitwarden needs some shaming anniversary?

last pass premium just went to $36 and talk about password managers is again on the table more
how exactly can you recommend one that does have trash folder?
How can developers not understand the importance of it?

Anyone got any explanation why is it so incredibly hard to implement?

5 Likes

@kspearrin @tgreer after 8 months we already have most of our company users using Bitwarden, and we were guessing if this would be implemented on the foreseeable future, as deleting something by mistake is one of the main concerns for our people.
Thanks!

2 Likes

Definitely understand. It’s in the planning phase right now. Hang tight and hopefully we can bring this out soon!

11 Likes

:clap: That’s amazing to hear, @tgreer. I’m quite eager for this feature. It’s very long awaited and I’m thankful it’s getting the attention it deserves.

1 Like

How long until it’s done, we are deciding what software to start using. This is a dealbreaker for us

1 Like

Hey folks - this should be ready in Q2. It does touch every aspect of the platform though, and for those running their own instances, updates to server installs will be necessary to support this feature. :+1:

13 Likes

Thanks,
I believe it’s a very important feature.

Today I got a new version of Bitwarden from the Microsoft Store and low and behold, it has a Trash. Later I looked up the help pages about it and saw it has a hard 30 days keep policy. Is this for real guys? No change via “Settings”? There is no way I want to lose any “Trash” Items, like, ever. If thats the promised feature I’m quite disappointed.

3 Likes

Web version now also has it since a few weeks. Expect the iOS and (Android?) versions will follow as well? Some config would be useful indeed so hope this is a first step and developments will start to move faster again.

Trash functionality is here! - all clients (aside from iOS, which is in the Apple-queue) are in flight! More info on the blog post here:

6 Likes

Just logged in to say thank you so much for working on and delivering this!

3 Likes

Agreed, really hope this gets adjusted soon. For now - back to UNdeleting what I have deleted so far as I definitely don’t want to loose them :frowning:

1 Like