Show toast message with name of the login when circling autofill via keystrokes

For those unfamiliar, a toast message is a short message that appears on top of the UI (I would suggest absolute center+top) and disappears after a short amount of time

Feature name

• Login name toast message on autofill keyboard shortcut

Feature function

• What will this feature do differently? It solves an issue of not being able to identify the correct login when using autofill keyboard shortcut
  • What benefits will this feature bring? If you have multiple logins for the same host/site and it’s not clear from the username, then seeing the name of the item in the Bitwarden Vault will help to identify the correct item
3 Likes

Badly need this on pages which provide just a password input field. For example - Gmail.

1 Like

FYI, there is a good discussion of the Google login issue here. You may want to tag some of the participants from that thread to see if they may be interested in voting for this feature request. Also, a few work-arounds are proposed in the responses, that may give you a temporary solution.

1 Like

Thank you, will be checking out that discussion.

In great need of this addition to the Bitwarden plugin!

The problem here is that a password is filled but I can’t see which account that password belongs to. If Bitwarden could show a notification displaying what email/username this password belongs to it would make it super easy for me to determine if it’s the right one. When I then circle through the passwords I have for different Google accounts (using the keyboard shortcut) I would be able to see when I’ve reached the right one.

Would having an pop-up overlay or a toast icon which are current feature requests be similar to what you are proposing?

Also as an FYI, the autofill and keyboard shortcuts will cycle through the last used logins, though I agree when having multiple accounts and having to cycle through it can be a challenge to determine and it’s often easier to just manually autofill from the extension.

Thank you. The pop up overlay thread is not similar to what I’m proposing, however the toast thread is exactly the kind of solution I’m referring to. I will be closing this one as it is a duplicate.

Edit: I cannot understand how to close the thread. Maybe it’s not possible for me to do it?

Show name of auto-filled password

There currently is a keyboard shortcut that can auto-fill passwords on websites. However, it is not clear what password it auto-fills in case you have multiple logins for a single page. This is the case for normal users but especially at larger institutions.

Just showing what password Bitwarden has just auto-filled for the user would be extremely helpful (Auto-filled password for: Example 1 - LDAP / Example 1 - VPN / …). For me personally, I constantly have to login, and for the things that I use most often, the keyboard shortcut simply doesn’t do it.

2 Likes

Hello @jaqxues - welcome to the Bitwarden community!

Since BW auto-fills both the login name and the password, I just watch the login name to see what was auto-filled, and if the credentials I wanted weren’t auto-filled then I just tap the shortcut again until I find the one I want.

Does this not work for you? I guess I don’t understand the need/use case for this request.

1 Like

This would only make sense if the different username/password combinations all have the same username. And in turn, that implies that you are logging in on different websites (probably at different subdomains or at different subdirectories of a common base domain). If so, your problem would be better solved by adjusting your match detection options for the URLs of each item, so that you use either Exact, Starts With, or Host instead of the default option (Base Domain).

In the browser extension, click the gear icon to the right of the saved URL to set the match detection option. Depending on which option you use, you may also have to edit the stored URL for the matching to work properly. Once you have this set up properly for all of your login items, then only a single item should match each login page, and you will not have to cycle through the various username/password pairs.

1 Like

At my institution, I need to use different passwords on the same subdomain sometimes (Active Directory, LDAP, etc.). They also have the same username, and I can’t change them.

If you use the same username but different passwords for different URLs at your institution, you need to create separate login items in your Bitwarden vault for each.

In your BW vault, you want one login item for each set of credentials. Once you have that setup, then you can add as many matching URIs as you want for each set of credentials.

Even if the base and sub-domains are identical, surely the full URI is not identical:

In each login item in your vault, include the full path from the URL, at least up to and including the part where there is a difference between the login pages for AD, LDAP, etc. Then set match detection to Starts With. That should solve your problem.

That might work, but it’s much more inconvenient. The amount of subdomains and paths that exist make it so that I will never attempt to get them all correct. I would prefer to just have the name echo’d to me, so i can cycle through it, knowing what credentials it just autofilled

Here’s something you could try. Go to Settings → Options → Default URI match detection, and set the default match detection method to Exact. Depending on the method you used to create your numerous login items, this may be sufficient to make all (or most) of them work. If you find that one (or several) logins no longer work with autofill after making this change, then you can then make adjustments to the URL and/or the match detection for that item (using the guidelines provided above).

I would just like to have more feedback as to what Bitwarden is filling in, but oh well. I suppose you can close it then.

No need to close the request, since it has become clear what you are asking for. If this request topic acquires any votes from the community, perhaps something will be done in the future. For my part, I just wanted to let you know that your problem can be fixed in other ways.

1 Like

It still is an enormous inconvenience for me, as I still have to deal with multiple logins for the same URLs even - and I’m still discovering new subdomains every now and then. Would it be helpful to propose a Pull Request and do “the work” myself?

I think an option with “Show Name of entry on Autofill” should be all that’s needed - defaulting to false.

1 Like

See the following for information about how to propose a PR: