Shared (sub)folders to organize items inside collections (nested inheritance)

Hello bitwarden-developer-Team,
please don’t get us wrong, we love your product and continue to do so.
But please give us an ETA or realistic intel about when you will implement the AUTO-inheritance-function for groups on nested collections!

Many thanks

Thanks for the feedback @horschd. We are actively working on auto inheritance for nested collections but don’t have an ETA at this time.

2 Likes

Please implement this, this seems like a basic function of a password manager (Ability to add nested folders in a collection).

Hi @FEAUS you can currently create nested collections by adding a forward slash when naming, there just isn’t currently an option to provide auto inheritance.

Nested collections is a beginning. I don’t understand the problem why a nested collection can’t also have subfolders as there is a separate folder structure for the personal vault.
We want to switch to Bitwarden from our many Keepass workgroups. In our work group there are 6 subfolders in Keepass and each of these has between 0 and 10 sub-subfolders.
Arranging everything in a flat hierarchy makes Bitwarden inflexible compared to Keepass.

We switched from keypass to bitwarden some years ago and still have the nested look from keypass as we just exported/imported all. Its a mess and cleaning up isnt that easy as you need to do a lot manual.

Can you please create folders under a collection so we can differentiate our clients and their systems in bitwarden properly

I am a consultant, I have a lot of customers, I would also love if every collection has its own folder nest.
In fact, it would be great if we could export collections. For example, I have a Customer A collection, once I finish my work, I export the collection, i give the collection to the customer and I delete it from my vault.

I would like to see “collection-folders” (or how ever to call them to make them distinct from current “my vault folders”) rather then the nested-collection feature with complicated ACL. It’s always simpler to have ACL only set at the root level (=collection) and no nested ACLs at all.
Not be able to structure the collections easily is the biggest disadvantage of using bitwarden for us.
(Also the need to switch to the web-vault to create collections is a hurdle we dislike. If nested collections is the future, make the creation easier by supporting it in the apps).

1 Like

Hello and welcome @hauser,

Currently Bitwarden has been undergoing some web UI enhancements and changes.
As I understand this is part of a multi phased UI refresh to hopefully make Bitwarden a bit more intuitive and streamlined.

Perhaps better ACL management and auto-inheritance for nested collections will be on the horizon, asi know it is something that has been requested here before.

The current 2022 roadmap lists Org Admin Vault Refresh on the list of priority improvements, so not entirely sure what that means but hopefully easier management in the vault for Org admins! :wink:

I was demonstrating how cool Bitwarden was to my co-worker and the first thing she said was… “why cant I organize the passwords in our organization’s collections into folders?” Organizing items into folders with inheritance is something everyone just expects as standard now a day. Im sure its a difficult process to implement if it has not been done yet, after 4 years of this post being open. For the non-tech folks, this would be such a big improvement.
Thank you for making such a cool product!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! Inheritance for nested collections is coming :+1:

4 Likes

@SlickSicilian yes same here, we really need this function. @bw-admin any ETA now ?

The team is working on this one and we will information as it becomes available :+1:

3 Likes

Hi @bw-admin , any update ? Is there an ETA ?

The team is working on this one, no specific dates to announce yet, stay tuned :+1:

1 Like

It would be great if we could see some kind of an eta on this. My company wants to switch but our teams have a lot of collections. This would reduce the amount of administration. For now we do it manually with the nested collections but its more work.

Perfect! This is the correct answer. These are really not folders, they are subcollections it seems. The result is the same and exactly what I was looking for today. Thanks!

For some of my co-workers this is the main reason not being able to move from keepas to bitwarden. This feature would be very welcome!

1 Like

This is a must for us also, adding a vote to this thread.

Any ETA on this feature please?

We use Keepass and Password Safe. We are evaluating Bitwarden and we are surprised that such a good product cannot be organized by folders and subfolders.

We have a hierarchical structure in folders and subfolders. We have imported everything to test and we can spend weeks organizing everything.

It is incredible that it is not possible and therefore we are going to stay as we are at least until Bitwarden better implements the theme of the organization in folders and subfolders.

On the other hand, then when cleaning or deleting imported folders and subfolders. You have to go one by one. Crazy.