Share a password for 1 time reading + link expiration

Suppose you want to share a password 1 time with someone else, you should be able to generate a link and email that link to that person.

He or she can than see the password 1 once. The link itself expires too after a few days (configurable when sharing?)

Kinda like http://onetimesecret.com, but integrated in the Bitwarden web interface.

This feature could also be used for the “Emergency access” feature request here. An emergency contact could receive an email with the master password (or another item that is configured for emergencies?).

This however, would require a working SMTP server, so it’s not perfect. I’d like to see emergency access to be more robust and not dependant on any external service like SMTP.
I.e. the old sysadmin at the company dies and servers have started to deteriorate. Only then will people scramble and realize they can’t receive the emergency password. Sounds kinda far fetched, but that’s how emergencies are sometimes.

Can’t understand how this has gotten so few votes. This would be extremely helpful for businesses where sharing secrets externally is occasionally needed. It wouldn’t even need an SMTP server configuring, you could just have an embedded one-time link into each item which can be copied and sent via email as needed.

1 Like

@jmcmeeking :wink:

1 Like

Thats what the API is about, isn’t it? I hope this GIF is suitable enough

2 Likes

I have my own privatebin installation that I sometimes use for this.
Having it built-in would be handy. Especially if you had the option of sharing the current TOTP with the item.
It might also help in cases where I’m working on someone else’s computer and I need a password, which I can look up on my phone and re-type, but that can be a mission, passwords can be long and complicated. - being able to share (share even with yourself on another device) a secure one time link with the necessary details might simplify things when acting in this “support” role.