Self-hosted outbound push notification URL

Curious, will the only outbound connections an enterprise self-hosted install needs to make on an ongoing basis be https to bitwarden.com, by name? Trying to determine what firewall rules will be necessary. I’ve noticed the client-side interface (whether browser plugin or app) slow considerably or just spin when changes are saved if the server side is configured for push and there is no access to bitwarden.com. The changes don’t save unless you sit there and let it spin for a while, versus clicking elsewhere in your browser and letting the plugin screen disappear.

You likely need to whitelist api.bitwarden.com and push.bitwarden.com as well as connection to dockerhub for updates

2 Likes

Great thanks. Got that working. We’ll be doing the updates on a staging system and pushing them in.

Can you help me?

Why bitwarden requests identity.bitwarnder.com on every vault change on a self-hosted installation?

The content of these requests makes me curious as well. Does the self hosted install support a SOCKS proxy so we can route these outbound requests through a WAF device for compliance purposes? I’m working in an environment that has to go through a few certifications and this may become an issue. We can block all outbound from the self hosted instance, but then the annoying long delay issue creeps in.

@colohost You can choose not to use push notifications if it is a problem. Then not outbound requests will be made.

Ah, got it. If push notifications are off, are the only repercussions that a user will need to manually sync multiple copies of Bitwarden that are all running? I believe it syncs automatically when first unlocked, correct?

Only on the mobile apps, yes. And it will still manually sync from time to time when opened as well.

what about identity.bitwarnder.com ? what is it? I blocked it and push notifications work as well(push.bitwarnder.com is whitelisted).

It renews your auth token for accessing push.bitwarden.com . Your push will eventually stop working as a result of this.