Please add option to autofill TOTP code while autofill option on

Hello, I just purchased premium. Great program, I love the convivence it brings for the level of security.

I would like there to at least be an option to autofill TOTP code while autofill option is on. This would keep users who like the current setup happy while also being useful to users who value convivence like myself.

I see this feature as extremely needed on mobile, where it takes far longer to enter TOTP code.

Please correct me if I’m wrong and there’s already a way to autofill TOTP codes with username and pass autofill on. Thank you.

5 Likes

Good morning @wnelson03,

If a vault item has a TOTP it is copied to the clipboard, after the autofill has completed. So you can just paste it into the field once prompted. I agree not fully automated, but pretty darn good.

Kind regards
Daniel

4 Likes

yes, it surely beats getting my phone and typing it manually, though considering they autofill passwords, I don’t see the huge difference if they added capability for TOTP.

we’ll see. at first I was thinking the same thing you just said. though, when I thought about it more, I feel like most of the time I’m logging into somewhere, I have something else in my clipboard that I’m about to paste into whatever I’m using. such as an image or a string of some sort. so, this is the primary reason I think an autofill option for TOTP would be great.

3 Likes

Not a counter-argument, but just a note:

If you use autofill - at least with default settings - whatever you have in the clipboard is “overwritten” with the TOTP. So if you do not like this behavior you will have to deactivate this under SettingsOptions:

Disabling Automatic TOTP copy makes it even worse. then you have to manually copy and paste TOTP code each time. At the moment, I’d rather sacrifice anything in the clipboard than to have to copy it manually each time too.

There should either be an option to autofill TOTP code with autofill on, or a variable to reference TOTP code in a custom field. This may be a good way to keep it simple and not have too many options surrounding TOTP code.

3 Likes

Maybe :smirk:https://github.com/bitwarden/browser/pull/2142

A PR from our amazing community

5 Likes

When autofill works, it manages to fill usernames and passwords but ignores authentication codes.

This addition would be a great to see.

3 Likes

It drives me nuts that such a simple feature doesn’t exist after so much time has passed. I often have something like a git branch or commit copied to my clipboard, only to have to overwrite it to enter the TOTP code upon login to CI or release automation services. Then I have to go dig up the git branch or commit again. This just seems like such an unnecessary headache and happens to me several times a day.

3 Likes

Technically, you don’t have to overwrite it. As explained by @Peter_H above, you can disable the automatic copying of the TOTP to the clipboard. Then you can just manually type in the 6-digit code without disturbing your clipboard contents.

Alternatively, you could also enable the clipboard history if you’re using Windows, which would allow you to keep multiple items in your clipboard.

2 Likes

True, although in my mind it almost defeats the purpose of using a password manager for TOTP. Not using Windows myself unfortunately but that is a great tip. Thanks!

2 Likes

There are also third-party clipboard managers for other OS:

2 Likes

Where is that option? I do not believe it to be present currently.

1 Like

XClipper is a brilliant one for Android.

1 Like

Settings > Options

@djsmith85 anything new on this? I see you said on Apr 21, 2022 that it was added to an internal board. Does that mean this is still in progress for being added to the production release? If so, any ETA?

If the 2FA auto-fill is no longer in progress on internal boards and was thrown out, a 2FA code option in the select box for linked custom fields would be a great alternative. I’ve seen several users talk about how they love the auto-fill 2FA on other services and wish Bitwarden had that. Surely it would help people make the switch if auto-fill for 2FA was added.

The guy who authored the pull request keeps updating his commits to ensure there are no conflicts. Hopefully his PR will be merged soon. It’s a big pain to use a self-built extension on Firefox. Plus, even for other browsers that don’t required signed extensions, there are still going to be a lot of people who want to utilize this feature that aren’t experienced with building extensions.

2 Likes

Hey guys! Just bought your premium, and there are no totp autofilling as for ex. in 1pass which I also have through last 2 years. Should say, that its just a common feature, but you doesn’t have it. WHY? and why I should buy your yearly premium and see that there no basic functions? WTF? please explain this situation, cos it’s totally weird.

And please, just tell me, where the selection of multiple logins near the login field as we have in internal chrome password manager or last mentioned 1pass? where are the INITIAL BASIC features of any kind of password managers I can found in Bitwarden??

PS: do you use google analytics in your password-keeping-&-safe chrome extention? are you serious? :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Mr_Lucky Welcome to the forum.

This is a forum of Bitwarden users. If you are trying to communicate to the Bitwarden team, please contact them directly.

I would suggest that you review the Community Guidelines for this forum.

If you are interested in learning how to use Bitwarden, you can post questions or request for assistance in the Ask the Community section of the forum.

P.S. Bitwarden does not use Google Analytics in their browser extension. Please read the FAQ about Bitwarden’s use of third-party communication.

@wnelson03, could you share your FF extension please? :pray:

I was referring to this [PS-275] Allow auto-filling TOTP codes by andrewda · Pull Request #2142 · bitwarden/clients · GitHub

It seems you can’t use an unsigned extension in normal Firefox, you have to use Firefox Developer Edition.

You could run a script like this on every firefox update though Jailbreak Firefox! · GitHub and then supposedly unsigned extensions would work on normal Firefox.

Pasting the OTP after auto-filling credentials is cool, but not having to touch the keyboard at all would be awesome. +1 vote