Passkey popup doesn't show - domain not on excluded domains list

Hi,

I have a similar problem like in this thread: Windows security pops up instead of bitwarden when passkey is required

I have an account on https://www.ebay.de/ and added a passkey there. I could successfully store it in Bitwarden - and immediately after creating the passkey, I could login with it (something like a passkey-login-page was offered to me from eBay). But, e.g. after a restart (BTW: my browser, Brave, deletes cookies, cache and website data when I close it - maybe this is part of my problem?), eBay doesn’t offer me the Bitwarden passkey-popup windows but merely Windows security pops up (Windows 11 Home). So in effect, I cannot use the passkey from Bitwarden to login to eBay (in the sense of: there seems to be no way for me on the eBay.de website, to use my passkey for login). Different to the other thread https://www.ebay.de/ is not on my “excluded domains” list. And with other websites, the Bitwarden passkey-popup works fine.

I suspect, this is a problem of the eBay website. Because I have the exact same problem (and just described circumstances) with another eBay.de account of a family member with another password manager + it’s browser extension (KeePassXC, latest versions).

In the other thread I already speculated, that eBay somehow directs the passkey request directly to the OS (Windows) and Bitwarden is not able to intervene? Or do I miss something else?

PS: Besides the Bitwarden-passkey-popup not showing: The mentioned eBay-passkey-login-page was only offered to me by eBay.de directly after the passkey creation. After that, eBay didn’t offer this site to me again (as I wrote above, maybe this is related to cookie/cache deletion of my browser??). And eBay.de doesn’t have a distinct button where I can choose the passkey login and get to something like an eBay-passkey-login-page again.

Meanwhile, I think I saw that the process must be similar for ebay.com and maybe other eBay regions… am I the only one with that problem with passkey-usage on eBay? :thinking:

You are not the only one with this problem:

2 Likes

Ah, interesting. Thanks!

And maybe I should make a habit of searching more myself on GitHub. :melting_face:

1 Like