Master Password Re-prompt - configurable grace-period

The master password reprompt feature is great but it has some annoying shortcomings.

Namely:

• There should be a way to say “if you’re reprompted me/I’ve continued to use Bitwarden in the last few minutes, it’s fine, don’t ask again”
    • This is particularly important for doing bulk actions, or cases where you might need to access the item repeatedly (it’s much nicer than having the forethought of “open the browser extension as a window so it doesn’t need reauth”)
  • The UX is somewhat nonsensical, particular when it comes to TOTP. You can always see the code but the button to copy it requires a password reprompt? Seriously?
3 Likes

Hey @Dark_Arc thanks for the feedback, regrading the last bullet, the team is working on a revision where the reprompt will protect the whole vault item.

I’m glad to hear that, but please don’t ship this without some kind of “cool down” option. Especially with more and more services switching to a 2-phase login system, it’s extremely tedious to repeatedly enter a master password after you just did it 5 seconds ago.

It ends up being punishing enough, the feature loses a lot of its value (because it’s not worth the inconvenience).

I came here to ask the same question about having to re-enter the master password over and over and over (which I have to do quite often). @bw-admin Are there plans to implement a similar feature to LastPass to not re-prompt for X minutes/hours?

2 Likes

Hey @WashamDev thanks for checking in, I’ve updated the title to better foster community voting and discussion.

1 Like

Regarding this change, does that relate to this request or simply a change/addition to the current master password re-prompt feature for individual items?

I am also wondering if this title for a configurable “grace period” or custom wait time for master password re-prompt would be more applicable

Master Password Re-prompt - configurable grace-period

This could possibly also tie into additional Enterprise Policies for an Organization maximum timeout until items/vault is required re-prompt.

2 Likes

Hey @cksapp thanks for checking in, it was a general statement about the functionality and not related to grace period specifically, topic has also been updated, thanks for the simplified suggestion!

If we unlock an item with a master password re-prompt, leave the vault unlocked for [30, 60, 90 120] seconds

Feature function

Problem
Some bank sites ask for credentials on two pages, e.g., username on the first page and password on second page. If that bank URL has a master password re-prompt, I need to unlock that item on each page separately.

For example, chase.com has a user + pass with a master password re-prompt. Currently,

1. Click auto-fill and enter master password.
  2. The first URL only accepts a user name.
  3. Click “Next” to move to the next page.
  4. Click auto-fill and enter master password again.
  5. The second URL only accepts a password.

This issue also occurs with a common bug in credit / debit card entry, where Bitwarden can sometimes requires 2x or 3x auto-fills (on the same URL) to fill all fields (e.g., credit number first time, expiration date second time, and CCV on the third time).

Other times, we need to login into multiple sensitive (i.e., master password re-prompt protected) in a short amount of time, say like two bank accounts to start a transfer. Thus, all re-prompt items should be unlocked and not require a re-prompt in that time.

Solution
It would be helpful if Bitwarden could add global timeout setting that makes the vault with a master password re-prompt have a 30-second (or configurable) window where the vault remains unlocked after being successfully unlocked. Then, you would only need to enter the master password once (unless it takes you longer than 30 seconds to reach the second URL).

It’s not a major issue, though I believe it is a helpful tweak borrowed from LastPass.