Main desktop app - doesn't prompt for Windows Hello on launch

Hi

I’m using Bitwarden 2023.9.3 on Windows 11.
In File > Settings, I have “Start automatically on login”, “Unlock with Windows Hello” and “Ask for Windows Hello on launch” all checked. However, although Bitwarden starts at Windows login, the Hello biometric window does not appear. I still have to click on “Unlock with Windows Hello” button at the Bitwarden launch window to get it to appear.

I’m sure the Hello window used to appear automatically on Bitwarden launch previously. I’m not sure when I first spotted the change and whether it’s related to a Bitwarden update or Windows update. (Of course, it could be I’ve inadvertently checked/unchecked another setting which prevents the Hello window launching!)

The Bitwarden browser plug-in I also use does immediately open the biometric Hello window when I first click on the plug-in.

Any suggestions as to how I can get the main desktop Bitwarden app to behave as I’m expecting it to?

Thanks in advance

Ken

Thanks for the post @KenMuir.

I have recently noticed this odd behaviour as well.

Though I do not have Bitwarden set to start with Windows 11, I do have the other two settings enabled:

• Unlock with Windows Hello
  • Ask for Windows Hello on launch

… and yet it does not prompt me for any of the Windows Hello credentials. I have PIN and fingerprint set as Windows Hello options.

Running Windows 11 Pro with all the latest updates.
Using Bitwarden in the EU server.

It will be interesting to know if other users with a similar setup are facing this issue.

Regards,
Rupak

Good to see you in @KenMuir - another member had a similar issue - see if their resolution will help you too.

Thank you for the prompt response @JaiBitwarden

I had searched before posting my message, and I’d seen this other user’s problem and solution. The symptoms they had weren’t the same as mine, and unfortunately their solution didn’t seem to have any effect on the problem I’m seeing. Running BitWarden as an admin level app didn’t change any of the behaviour I saw.

This is not a major problem. Obviously I can achieve what I want with one more mouse click. But it used to operate very slickly indeed without the need for mouse clicking. The overall sequence in the past would typically be -

• Start my PC
  • Login to Windows using fingerprint biometric for Windows Hello
  • Three apps were set to autorun: anti-virus, email client and Bitwarden
  • As soon as Bitwarden launched it would pop up the Windows Hello fingerprint biometric window, I’d tap my fingerprint reader and my vaults would open.

I have two vaults. One is my own personal data, and the other is an organisation shared with one other individual who, like me, has the status of ‘owner’ for this organisation vault.

I’m not sure what other information might be helpful to anyone to identify the overall problem.

Thanks again

Ken

There seems to be an issues that is still ongoing: BitWarden doesn't automatically ask for Windows Hello on app start (when setting is enabled.) · Issue #6172 · bitwarden/clients · GitHub

RESOLVED

Not sure when or how this issue was fixed but I’ve just spotted that the system now appears to work again as it used to and as I prefer.

Good work Bitwarden, and thanks for the attention.

2 Likes