Limited the total characters length of passphrase generator and option to disable Word separator

Feature name

• Limited the total characters length of passphrase generator and option to disable Word separator

#Feature function:
_Set an upper limit to the total characters count of the passphrase.
_Lower the minimun words count to 2 or even 1 can help (optional)
_Option to not use a word separator.
_Option to capitalize the LAST character of the word instead of always the first as it’s less predicable.

I ran into a problem with some websites that limited the number of characters a password can have.

I want passphrase because sometime i have to login to other devices that’s doesn’t have bitwarden (my TV, remote machine, other people’s device, i have 2FA so don’t worry about that), and typing words is much easier than 16 random characters.

But, some site doesn’t allow password longer than a certain length, let say 12 characters, or even doesn’t allow special characters at all. And Bitwarden only allowe a minimum of 3 words passphrase that’s can easily exceed 20 characters.

And if i remove the default word separator , it will be replaced with a space (i’ve never seen any site allowed password that contain spaces, ever).

A one or two word passphrase would offer little to no protection. I don’t think Bitwarden should encourage those sort of passphrases. If you’re using a site that specifies a maximum number of characters for the password, I would strongly advise you to use a complex password with random characters. I know it’s inconvenient to type in, but it’ll keep your account secure. Passphrases are great when there’s no upper limit on the character count.

1 Like