Limited Organisation for non premium users on self hosted instance

Hi,

I juste would like to know, as a self hosted user, why I can’t create a 2 users limited organisation ?

Self hosted Bitwarden is for me an absolute necessity in term of security and I don’t understand why whith my choice using bitwarden in my own instance, I cannot share password with my wife for instance while I could do it if I would use a free account on your cloud.

Thanks for your answer.

Kind regards.

There’s no technical reason.

There just needs to be an incentive for people to pay for plans.

The family plan is less than a dollar a month. Two cups of a nice coffee per year.

The free plan it offered for the cloud setup under the assumption that it’s a nice draw for your everyday Joe that never used a password manager before. Having an option to allow password sharing for them is a big draw.

Do you need that draw for self-hosting? No. Because 99.99999999% of self-hosting people already use password managers and don’t need enticing… also if they are self-hosting, they are more likely to be small businesses or something trying to squeeze as much out of the free stuff as possible, leading to maybe a small business having two accounts, one for marketing, one for bizdev and trying to make use of the one-collection two-user feature for as much as it’s worth.

This may not be the reason. I am not related to the devs, just my guess.

But it makes sense.

I’ll buy your Family plan if you want one. I’ll send them a donation on PayPal and tell them to give you a family plan if you REEEEEALLY can’t forego 2 cups of coffee in a year.

1 Like