Just released - new inline auto-fill!

Hi @mutilator,
Thank you for identifying this! Feel free to report the issue using this form.

The inline menu should offer to save a new login if none is available. Is this not the case?

Kasey

1 Like

This is the case. But only if there is no login saved.
But if I want to save another account, I would be happy if the point (Save a new login) was still displayed.
Like 1Password, for example

1 Like

@mutilator I see. Feel free to add this as a feature request! Enhancements to the inline auto-fill menu will be coming in 2024.

1 Like

Are there any security implications we should be aware of using this method vs the previous ones?

1 Like

Hey @Mxx,

The inline auto-fill menu was implemented with a very careful, security-minded approach. Extensive third-party penetration testing was conducted to identify security gaps prior to deployment and the auto-fill menu will only fill credentials when a user selects a form field they want to interact with.

More information will be released soon!

4 Likes

2025? Why wait a year to release that info? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The new year is 2024, not 2025. “Next year” would instead mean 2025. They won’t wait a year, they’re saying they’ll release it soon.

2 Likes

@Mxx and @FaviFake,
You are correct. We will release the information soon. No one should wait a year for security information!

1 Like

Thanks! On the topic of releasing things soon, do you have a rough ETA for when passkeys creation and logging in with passkeys on mobile is going to ship? I haven’t used any passkeys because I’ve been waiting for Bitwarden to let me use them on my phone. OnePassword released full passkey support last year! :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

Hey @FaviFake, there will be a solution sometime this year, and the exact timeline is still being locked down. It’s been shared on a webcast and on a reddit thread earlier that Bitwarden is working on native rewrites of the mobile apps which are underway, and other solutions are also under investigation in the meantime.

4 Likes

Why oh why is this still not available for self-installed versions of the service? A lot of us self-host and want to use this!

2 Likes

Can I suggest that the icon be shown even when the field is not selected (in focus) and that the auto-fill menu be shown whether:

1. click on the icon
  2. focus on the field

If I remember correctly this was the experience with LastPass

2 Likes

It could break some websites, but if implemented correctly I’d use it

1 Like

As this feature is off by default for existing users , i didn’t even come to know that this feature was implemented untill i checked the Bitwarden community today xD.

Users should be informed about this addition in some way like a pop-up “whats new” in the app itself after every major update.

other wise Thanks to bitwarden team for bringing such highly requested feature :partying_face:

3 Likes

totally agree!!!

1 Like

Hey there! The feature will be available in self-hosted installations in the near future.

Where are we supposed to report websites that do not work properly or at all?

1 Like

Report auto-fill issues here:

2 Likes

Can we have an option to not obfuscate or replace with asterisk or * the username.

I don’t need this, it just makes finding the right username in 20 difficult.

A filter icon would be a 2nd nicety on this feature! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@silversword There is a feature request that you can vote for, here:

5 Likes