✅ Inline autofill menu (formerly known as overlay popup interface)

Has this feature at all been considered by the devs?

I’m the onsite workstation IT support at my office, and I’ve been considering the value of implementing the use of an office-wide password manager.

And truth be told, this feature (or lack of it) is something I truly have weighed when considering using Bitwarden for my office.

Hi @chyron8472,

This feature is in the research phase at the moment (noted at the top of the roadmap image). There is a cool contribution that @Folf made that could be considered and does introduce some of this functionality, but we are making sure we understand any/all security scenarios and implications of the feature overall.

4 Likes

I just switched from lastpass and came looking for this feature. Why has it taken 3+ years on such a requested feature, to just get into the exploration phase? Is this because in the open source environment, there just hasnt been anyone to contribute this and so you have to bake it from scratch?

The glacial development pace is disconcerting, having escaped Lastpass which the reason for leaving was the lack of development (and increase of premiums)

I think the reason is that Bitwarden is one of the newest password managers out there, and thus it is still a relatively small development team, and they have been making massive improvements to the software in other areas with higher priority. There are nearly 2000 feature requests like this one, most of them that only affect the convenience of using the app, not the core functionality, so they just can’t all be solved at once.

Plus, not everyone wants this functionality, particularly longstanding Bitwarden users - it seems like a feature that people want ported from their previous password manager. I am glad Bitwarden is prioritizing functionality over popular UX requests, personally, although I am sure many will disagree. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

For my part, as a long-term Bitwarden user, this would be a HUGE boon. I’ve been trying to set up an older relative with a password manager and, since I use Bitwarden myself, wanted to go that route. They’re used to Google autofilling things for them, and without an autofill feature, it’s highly unlikely I can make Bitwarden work for them. It’s not just another user interface issue, it’s an accessibility one that matters (I think) for a lot of people who are technically challenged but need a good password manager.

1 Like

There’s an option to autofill on page load:

3 Likes

This. Bitwarden does have autofill functionality.

For my part, having a login field overlay popup is simply a Quality of Life improvement that does somewhat impact my decision making as far as looking to implement it for my office users. I understand the dev team’s priorities toward browser/extension performance, but it just feels a bit more professional to have an overlay than to only access BW from the toolbar.

Also, I am not going to instruct my users to use BW’s keyboard shortcuts. As the workstation support guy for my office, I’m just not going to go there. Just putting that out there.

3 Likes

This is another missing feature (with Yubikey only unlock) compared to Lastpass and any other password manager in the industry. I want to have the choice of filling a field (not autofill) without having to click extension icon on top. Please implement this.

1 Like

There’s the right-click context menu or the keyboard shortcut [CTRL]+[SHIFT]+L.

1 Like

Oh I didnt think about the right click, thats good enough, thank you.

1 Like

Hello,

I would like to support this idea, because on my Google Pixel 4 I have the problem the current overlay overlays the inputboxes. I can`t put manually data into these fields.

Here you can see my Chrome on my phone when I want to log in with different credentials than the ones I saved.

Have you tried using the inline autofill API option instead and turning off the input box overlay? If you’re using Google or SwiftKey keyboards then it will just show your logins in the prediction line of the keyboard instead. (see inline section at Auto-fill Logins on Android | Bitwarden Help & Support)

2 Likes

OMG why I’m so stupid :wink: :zipper_mouth_face: …After I disable Accessibility I do not get an overlay but at top of my keyboard all possible logins.

Sorry for my post on this topic. My problem is solved…

3 Likes

As someone who recently switched away from LastPass, this was definitely a feature of theirs I enjoyed. It feels more secure than autofilling with no prompt, while being less fiddly than having to use a context menu or an addon icon.

3 Likes

Just wanted to add my two cents and say as a LastPass expat I’d also like to see this overlay feature come to Bitwarden.

2 Likes

has anyone from Bitwarden said that this most requested feature is going to be added?

Hi @sorahl, it’s actively being researched as part of the 2022 roadmap: Bitwarden Roadmap

7 Likes

that’s good to hear, I’m looking forward to seeing this in the near future :grin:SoExcited~GIF

1 Like

How can I vote against this feature? There are security issues and usability issues with this feature, I like Bitwarden in part because it doesn’t attempt to put an overlay on the web page.

3 Likes

Bitwarden is highly aware of security implications and tends to side with customizability.

So while I do not know of any way to vote against a feature, I believe should this be implemented it will most likely also be able to be toggled and disabled.
Similar to how currently Bitwarden also offers the option for auto-fill on page load, but has to be enabled by the user as a non-standard default.

Some users simply won’t care for the security issues it could cause and would rather have the convenience, I personally like the prospect of the feature coming for users who want it but myself will stick to keyboard shortcuts.

5 Likes