✅ Inline autofill menu (formerly known as overlay popup interface)

Feature name

Fill in dropdown fields

Feature function

I use a (small) website where users select their username from a dropdown list. I use this website quite a lot, but it logs me out between sessions. I would appreciate it if the autofill feature was capable of, if the username field is a dropdown (or similar) searching the list and selecting the entry that matches the username field in the stored account.

Obviously this would only be a change for username fields; I really hope no one is using password dropdowns.

Mihajxjbhq

2 Likes

As many others have mentioned, moving from LastPass this, along with the problems with auto-saving logins, is the largest deal-breaker to move into BW.

Sure there may be keyboard shortcuts, but that doesn’t help much on a website with multiple login credentials. Despite the large cons of LP, it seems that I’ll be putting off moving into BW and “tracking” this thread to get informed when this feature is added (although at this point I am unsure if it’ll ever get added seeing that it has been years since the request).

1 Like

Just press the shortcut again to cycle through the logins. Bitwarden puts the most frequently used credentials at the top of the list, so you’ll find it pretty quickly.

3 Likes

Yep I’ve found Ctrl-Shift-L great, I don’t have many sites with more than 3 logins and as you say the most frequently used takes priority too. I find it quicker than I used to with LP.

2 Likes

Thanks @metaphase!

To all who didn’t know about that shortcut before:
You can autofill the form fields on websites with a simple shortcut:

On Windows / Linux:

CTRL+Shift+L

On macOS:

CMD+Shift+L

If you’ve multiple entries saved for that site, it’ll take Bitwardens best guess.

3 Likes

Other browser plugins from roboform for example, act differently. there is an icon near at the login field, which presents the login information in a drop down fashion to select with one click and you got logged in without an additional press of a button.

bitwarden has only the icon in the plugin extension area. difference here is:

• 1 press to drop down the login possibilities
  • 1 press to select the correct one. Login information gets filled out
  • 1 press of the login / enter button

this are 3 clicks for one login in contrast to 1 click like the roboform solution

It defaults to using your last autofilled credentials.

I would love to have such a feature in Bitwarden. It is the only thing that I miss from other password managers.

Some interesting work going on here :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Created an account to express my desire for this.

1 Like

adding in… yes PLEASE implement this. I was surprised it isn’t there already, and more surprised when I saw how long this thread is.

2 Likes

I am a long time user of Bitwarden, Pay for self hosting and a business subscription and even promote it’s use for all of the companies I work with on a regular basis. I as well am surprised this has not been implemented as of yet. Please make this happen and do it soon! :slight_smile:

@metalcated - welcome! Check out this community contribution that is underway: Better way of detecting form inputs and submissions

3 Likes

Created an account to express my desire for this. Keep jumping back to 1password for this feature alone, please implement it

If you designed your website where you could type into it and it would search for a best match it would work properly without bitwarden changing a thing.

Current trialing Bitwarden to consider switching from my paid subscription to LastPass. I’ve voted for this feature as I’ll only consider migrating once this has been implemented. Thanks.

2 Likes

Cant wait to have this feature !
any dates to have this feature.

now am using the keyboard shortcut Ctl+shift+9

but i prefer if i can have it on the text field directly.

thanks

1 Like

This is needed so much please add this feature, Bitwarden is great but this would take it to amazing for me, would even probably drop some money on this if some improvements like this was made. I would also recommend to more family and friends as currently the auto fill is just not user friendly enough. Anyone know if this is actually going to be added?

1 Like

Coming to BitWarden from LastPass and for the most I’m enjoying it a lot. That being said the lack of an overlay icon on login fields to click and select which credentials to autofill is somewhat annoying as this seems to be present in every other password manager I’ve used thus far. It’s especially annoying as I switch between Windows for personal use and MacOS for work and remembering different keyboard shortcuts is an added burden. As is I would not considering subscribing to any kind of pay service for BitWarden without this feature as this is something that’s been present in other password managers for years.

1 Like