Implement a peer-to-peer encrypted file transfer function

Feature name

peer-to-peer file transfer

Feature function

My idea is using bitwarden as a bridge, to send encrypted files
between logged devices connected to the same network , this would function using local lan instead of internet, the file would be encrypted automatically using BW account secret , and then automatically decrypted in the receiving end and stored in folder of choose on local storage.
Since Bitwarden has Send implemented , I guess this would not be straying too much away , actually this feature could be a Send add-on , since it would work locally , there would be no need to limit file size.

1 Like

There are already other end to end solutions for file sharing purposes if you are looking to use it exclusively for file sharing

Bitwarden send hosts the file on a cloud web server , so its accessible via a link. If you want to do this locally maybe you can do it by self hosting a bitwarden instance on a local server and access it from different machines in your network.
But i don’t know if this would be worth doing if you only require it for file sharing.
There are some e2e open source solutions like rclone , through which you could use to sync your files locally with encryption.
Generally local network is a controlled environment so e2e may not be a necessity always and you could instead rely on a sync solution like syncthing which offers good transportation security between 2 trusted devices once they have been added and sync them automatically.
I think expecting bitwarden to act as a file syncing solution would be deviating too much from its main function.
I hope it helps
Cheers :+1:

2 Likes