How to Create Two-page Login?

Does anyone know of a YouTube video or detailed documentation about how to add a website that uses two-page login? For example, accounts for Google, Xfinity, Disneyplus, the list is a mile long.

I read the Bitwarden help for “Auto-fill Custom Fields”, but it does not have a detailed example.

Frankly, this is a deal killer for me if Bitwarden is unable to handle two-page logins. Everything else about Bitwarden makes me want to come onboard after the LastPass debacle.

I appreciate in advance any feedback.

I’m not aware of any specific problem related to two-page logins, but many of these websites use non-standard input field identifiers for their login forms, and if this is the case for the username/email field on the first page of the login, it may seem that it is the two-page login format that is to blame. You should try solve these problems using custom fields. I have explained the process below — please post a follow-up comment if you are still having trouble with a specific site after following this method.

Step #1: Find the Field Name

The first step is to find the field name that is used on the troublesome login form. The easiest way to do this is to put the cursor on the form input field and use the right-click menu option Bitwarden > Copy custom field name. This is shown in the screenshot below (from the Help Center. Occasionally, this procedure fails, in which case you need examine the HTML source code for the input field element (e.g., using the Inspect function) — should you need help with this, let us know.

Step #2: Create the Custom Field

For the problematic vault login item, open the Edit view in the browser extension, then scroll down to “Custom Fields”, and follow these steps:

1. Change the custom field type from “Text” to “Linked”.
  2. Click the + icon.
  3. Click where it says Name, and enter the desired custom field name that was obtained in Step #1 above (e.g., identifierId for google.com).
  4. Change the linked data from “Password” to “Username”.

Now click the “Save” button, and test out whether the autofilling is successful. You may need to repeat the process for the password field.

3 Likes

(grb Leader) - I appreciate your valuable feedback. I transferred my data from LastPass to Bitwarden with minimal problems. It took a few days to understand how to deal with two-page login due to the many variations you run across. I could not have done it without you pointing me in the right direction. The following are a few observations for others like me learning how to use Bitwarden.

I needed it to work in Firefox, Chrome, and Edge.

In Bitwarden, Using Ctrl + Shift + L is absolutely essential for making auto-fills. Microsoft Edge already uses Ctrl + Shift + L as a shortcut for other purposes. The following thread discusses how to have Ctrl + Shift + L be a Bitwarden shortcut.
Edge Ctrl-Shift-L. How to set up?

I found the desktop Bitwarden app an indispensable tool for developing two-page logins. Using it, I could quickly make changes and experiment. I quickly found that the Bitwarden browser extension and Web app (useful as they are in a browser) were not intended for developing two-page logins.

When continuing from the Username text box to the Password text box, one needs to be cognizant whether you are transferred to a different web page, or it is Javascript on the same web page. URL matching is very sensitive to this.
Bitwarden: How to Configure How URLs Are Matched

If you right mouse click on a Continue link, a “Copy link” menu item indicates which new webpage you will go to. If the Continue link, does not show a “Copy link”, the link takes you to Javascript and does not change the webpage. Also, when you hover over the link, you can see if it is going to Javascript or a web page.

Hopefully, newbie Bitwarden users like myself will find this helpful.

2 Likes