Generate Qrcodes for air gapped devices

Is it a useful idea? If you have a device you don’t trust, it’s nice to use Bitwarden on a device you DO trust and transfer over just a single long password via QR code.

Is it good?

I don’t follow. What role does the untrusted device play into this?

Maybe I’m misusing the term ‘air gapped’ here.

Let’s say you’re at a friend’s house. You realise you need to login to a website and do some work but it’s awkward on your phone. Your friend offers to let you use their laptop.

Option 1) you manually type in your username and 40 character long mixed character password. You then use a 2FA code.

Or

Option 2) you use webqr or similar to copy over the password and enter the 2 factor code manually.

I think I got it now. The ability to easily copy a single one-off password from your device to a different device where you don’t necessarily want to log into Bitwarden on.

The problem is there are almost no good ways to transfer. I see you say webQR, but that would require having a camera of the sort. Maybe cameras are more common than I think. I grew up with desktops, no integrated cameras there.

And I’m not saying there isn’t a good way to do this. But to me, with my biased limited experience, it seems to me to be kind of niche.

Something that I used to do before I got the wife on Bitwarden was I would transfer our passwords over Signal as a time limited message, like 5 minutes.

1 Like