Full local offline password manager (no self hosting or cloud hosting)

I don’t want to self host, or use the cloud, I want to have full local offline password manager. without signing up for any account.

Welcome to the community StoopidoMan. Are you wanting to have a password manager on a single machine, without any sharing to other devices?

If so, then does not the inbuilt password manager in your OS suffice?

If you have more than one device, then somewhere there needs to be a repository for the encrypted passwords, accessible by all those devices. That repository can exist on one of your machines, “self hosting”, or somewhere else, “the cloud”.

I think I need your plan clarified.

1 Like

If so, then does not the inbuilt password manager in your OS suffice?

No because I want more features like comments or date when the account was created, and not to be tied to an eco system of a device/company. Also, be able to have all the passwords in one encrypted container which I can copy off of my device to another device.

and from what I say you can’t check Bitwarden without creating an account or using an account on a self hosted server, and I am not server hosting smart.

self hosting
not interested in it, but I am curious, is it like installing the normal version of Bitwarden on PC and then pressing a button to start the self hosting service, or is it more complicated than that?

You should probably look into a password manager like KeepassXC, then. Trying to do something like this with Bitwarden would be like forcing a square peg into a round hole.

P.S. I changed your topic title to be more reflective of what you’re requesting — original title was: “Full local offline mode (now self hosting or cloud hosting)”.

1 Like

Not mainstream enough, and no support for Android and IOS

Bitwarden seems like the only option but sadly it is not offline

If you plan to access your passwords from multiple devices, why are you against a cloud-based solution like Bitwarden, which makes syncing across devices painless?

If you plan to access your passwords from multiple devices, why are you against a cloud-based solution like Bitwarden, which makes syncing across devices painless?

not looking to access same passwords from multiple devices.

If you want different passwords on different devices, that would be another strike against Bitwarden for your use-case.

@StoopidoMan What you seek sounds to me like KeePassXC as well. I used to use it before Bitwarden. And there are apps with which you can use the KeePassXC database file on Android and iOS (Documentation and FAQ – KeePassXC).

2 Likes

I am sorry , but I am stoopid, and so far I can only trust Bitwarden and Keepass. And I know KeepassXC/XD is a fork of Keepass. but I don’t know how popular they are and to me the more popular means the more secure and more maintain it is. I am trusting my whole digital existence on this software.

Sadly I see that Keepass which is perfect is not officially supported on Android and IOS, and i don’t know how to trust the unofficial IOS/Android releases.
if you have any input on this, I would really appreciate. but i will investigate further more.

An extra tidbit for OTHERS who will find post not for you @Nail1684 so DO NOT READ FURTHER:
I just tested Keepass today and it is awesome, there is a portable version, easy to download and test and the search feature is smart, you can search passwords, AND you can create custom fields such as “Account was created on” and even search by the value of those custom fields… it really is awesome. I wish if it was as easy to test bitwarden, but I read somewhere that there is a portable version, so I will test it and hopefully at least on windows it has an strictly offline use feature.

You can get a portable version of the Bitwarden Desktop app for Windows here. However, you will still need to register an account before you can do any testing, and you should be aware that the Bitwarden apps only run in off-line mode if the device is disconnected from the internet when you launch the app, and that while in off-line mode, the app is read-only (i.e., you will not be able to add or modify any vault contents).

@StoopidoMan:

I am sorry , but I am stoopid, and so far I can only trust Bitwarden and Keepass. And I know KeepassXC/XD is a fork of Keepass. but I don’t know how popular they are and to me the more popular means the more secure and more maintain it is. I am trusting my whole digital existence on this software.

I understand that logic. But it has it’s limitations, I think. For example LastPass was or is still very popular but as far as I know they had some security issues. Sometimes the “underdog” is better than “the popular”.

As far as I know: KeePassXC is developed by a small community of enthusiasts (The Team – KeePassXC), it is open source and in active developement - you can see everything on GitHub (GitHub - keepassxreboot/keepassxc: KeePassXC is a cross-platform community-driven port of the Windows application “Keepass Password Safe”.). Unfortunately I have no definite source, but I think there are some who regard KeePassXC as more secure than KeePass, for one reason because KeePassXC does NOT allow the use of additional Plugins, which could compromise security.

Sadly I see that Keepass which is perfect is not officially supported on Android and IOS, and i don’t know how to trust the unofficial IOS/Android releases.
if you have any input on this, I would really appreciate. but i will investigate further more.

In the link I send you in my previous post, the KeePassXC team said something about the apps…

An extra tidbit for OTHERS who will find post not for you @Nail1684 so DO NOT READ FURTHER: I just tested Keepass today and it is awesome, there is a portable version, easy to download and test and the search feature is smart, you can search passwords, AND you can create custom fields such as “Account was created on” and even search by the value of those custom fields… it really is awesome. I wish if it was as easy to test bitwarden, but I read somewhere that there is a portable version, so I will test it and hopefully at least on windows it has an strictly offline use feature.

I know the advantages of KeePass/KeePassXC. I still use KeePassXC as a “fallback” option for some passwords of mine.

The thing is: Bitwarden is literally a cloud-based = NOT offline-password manager. If you so much want Bitwarden, my advice would be: think about using an online-password manager. Because - offline or online: the security not only depends on that decision.

Not a comprehensive list, but I would at least recommend:

• a very strong master password (personally I would use at least an estimated entropy of 128 bits, to have some “added future-resistance”)
  • 2FA for your password database (with KeePassXC you can add a security key, e.g. a YubiKey - with Bitwarden you can add FIDO2-2FA with a security key as well)
  • hashing algorithm can be changed to Argon2 (again, both in KeePassXC and Bitwarden possible)

Cheers!