Fix/improve password history count logic

According to the Bitwarden FAQs, the password history stores the last 5 passwords and includes “hidden” fields. What’s wrong/misleading about this approach is that a total of 5 passwords and “hidden” fields will be stored. For example, if I have the following entry in Bitwarden:

Password
Hidden field 1
Hidden field 2
Hidden field 3
Hidden field 4
Hidden field 5

And I update my password, only “Hidden field” 1 through 5 are saved in the history because they are the last 5 entries. There are topics about implementing an unlimited password history which would solve this problem but it still feels confusing to just rotate through passwords and “hidden” fields like that. This really sucks for my current situation where I updated my password for a website in Bitwarden and when I tried to update the password on the website, it asks me for my previous password.

This could be improved by either storing a snapshot of the entire entry whenever a password or “hidden” field is modified or storing a snapshot for the password field and each “hidden” field separately. The latter is described in the topic history for all fields like password history.

Feature name

• Fix/improve password history count logic

Feature function

• What will this feature do differently?
    Handle password history entries more intuitively.
  • What benefits will this feature bring?
    Make the password history easier to understand and prevent losing password history entries prematurely.

Affected clients

• All
1 Like

Well, that’s good to know. I wouldn’t have expected this!

Voted.

Not saying that a more complete history wouldn’t be useful, but until something like this is implemented, you may be able to solve the problem by making frequent (daily or intradaily) backups.