Fingerprint unlocking (Hello) no longer works in new version

[Added: It appears that my problem is related to this thread:
Stuck on "awaiting confirmation from desktop" chrome extension - #2 by cksapp]

FWIW, I installed the new version of Bitwarden last night when prompted. This morning, fingerprint unlocking no longer unlocks Bitwarden – neither the desktop app nor the browser (in Vivaldi) responds to fingerprint unlocking. Fingerprint unlocking still works to access Windows itself.

When I click the icon in the browser, or use the desktop app, and select “Unlock with biometrics”, the usual Windows Hello popup pops up, and when I supply my fingerprint, the Hello popup disappears (which means that my fingerprint was accepted), but Bitwarden does not unlock.

Curiously, the browser add-on gives a message that it is waiting for the desktop app to become active, but it is already active. And even more curiously, the Windows Hello popup pops up even though the browser app says that it’s waiting for the desktop app to become active (it usually doesn’t cause the Hello popup to pop up if the desktop app isn’t active).

Added: I’ve just noticed something else that is odd. Usually, when I click the icon in my browser, it asks for my master password and then I have to click the “Unlock with biometrics” button before the Windows Hello popup pops up. But now, the Hello popup pops up immediately (i.e. I don’t have to click the “Unlock with biometrics” button).

Additionally, if the desktop app isn’t running, then the browser app pops up that message telling me to start the desktop app, but it appears to be in a loop because it pops up over and over and over.

The behaviour is different each time. Sometimes the message “Awaiting confirmation from desktop” pops up before the Windows Hello popup pops up, and sometimes Hello popup pops up without the “Awaiting confirmation from desktop” message. Sometimes, when I click Cancel in the Windows Hello popup, it simply pops up again (as if the browser is causing it to pop up again).

Sometimes, even after I’ve added the master password and gotten access to my passwords, the Windows Hello popup keeps popping up again and again.

Where can I find the previous version of Bitwarden, so that I can upgrade back down to it?

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Stuck on “awaiting confirmation from desktop” chrome extension