Bitwarden URL Fill Behavior - Pet Peeve or Normal Behavior?

Hello gang.

I wanted to ask if the following behavior is a pet peeve of mine or if its how Bitwarden generally behaves.

Need to start by comparing this with my other password manager, KeepassXC. Yes, I run two vaults and there’s a good reason for it: my employer does not allow installation of programs, but it does allow instalation of extensions. Bitwarden runs happy on my corporate laptop via its extension.

But here’s the pet peeve. Say I have multiple accounts for a server, like my NAS. I have a couple of accounts I manage and when I go login to the NAS, both Keepass and Bitwarden will offer me an account for that server based on the URL (in this case 192.168.1.20). Here’s where it gets strange.

In my day job I use ServiceNow a lot (TL;DR it’s an enterprise workflow / service management platform in the cloud). Customer instances of ServiceNow start with .servicenow.com. Normally, customers have three of these instances: development, testing, and production. All three instances have different names. You can also get a personal development instance (for you to try, develop and test, free of charge) which has its own address.

In this particular case, Bitwarden will present all of the passwords it has for servicenow.com, not just the one for that singular instance you want to log in to. Keepass, on the other hand, does recognize that you’re in the development instance, and not in test or prod, and acts accordingly.

Pet peeve that doesn’t take away from other things Bitwarden does, but I thought I’d like to learn more. Thanks!

Hello @Joel_Pomales - welcome to the Bitwarden community.

It sounds to me like you are not taking advantage of Bitwarden’s URI math detection rules, and I am guessing that you currently have your default match detection set to match at the Base Domain level.

If you have multiple sites in the same domain but on different sub-domains (e.g., dev.servicenow.com, test.servicenow.com, and production.servicenow.com) then you can specify different credentials for each by setting your match detection rules to Host. Then you will see a one-to-one match between each set of credentials and each site.

More info is available here:

1 Like

This is exactly the solution I was looking for.

Bravo. :smiley:

1 Like