Bitwarden not asking to save password

Hello,

I started using Bitwarden a few days ago, moving from Roboform.

I would love to purchase a premium subscription, but there are some points to be solved yet.

I have both the Windows client and the Firefox extension. But Bitwarden is not asking to save passwords when I make login in a new website.

Have already checked all of the below settings, and everything seems to be fine here:

Someone has some idea, please?

2 Likes

It is recommended to add your credentials first to Bitwarden and then to use these (already saved credentials) to sign up on a new website. This way you can be sure that no data is lost even if your computer crashes, the internet connection is lost or the web site times out.

Hey @ewsg, did you already disable Firefox’s ability to manage passwords?

Hi @Peter_H !

So, but in my opinion, this is something counterproductive. By this way, we would do the same job twice. It would be great if Bitwarden prompt us to save the passwords automatically. Moreover, this feature is part of the software, by what I know - it’s just not working for me. I don’t know why. :frowning:

Hi @bw-admin !

Yes. Even so the feature is not working here, unfortunately.

2 Likes

Are you experiencing this on specific websites, or the prompt never appears at all?

Hi @bw-admin ,

So, the prompt never appears.

And you followed all the steps in the link you provided, including disabling Firefox’s native password management capabilities, or removing and resintalling? You can also test disabling other browser extensions to ensure there isn’t any interference going on.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll try your latest suggestions. :slight_smile:

Hi again! :slight_smile:

I would like to say that I’m really loving Bitwarden. But as I told earlier, I’m trying to move here from Roboform (I use Roboform for more than 10 years).

It was with huge surprise, moreover, that I got to import all my Roboform credentials and safe notes into Bitwarden. Really fantastic!

Well, I would like to discuss some points which are preventing me yet to really abandon Roboform and start using Bitwarden as my only password manager.

For sure, all the points/features I wanted in Bitwarden can be very “subjetives”, and vary from user to user. Many of them can be “unnecessary” and/or arose here just due to the fact I am a “heavy user” of Roboform for years and years.

First of all, of course, sorry if I am disburbing you, guys. :slight_smile:

1. Bitwarden is now prompting me to automatically save new logins in new websites. This is Ok. But, in opposite to what happens in Roboform, Bitwarden does not allows me to change the credential name immediately after saving it, forcing me to open my vault, search for the new credential and edit it.

It would be great if the software allowed me to automatically change the login name in a popup, for example (because, for example, it names the new credential using its URL, and this, for me, is a bit “strange”).

1. Bitwarden don’t “presses” the “submit” button when doing logins, forcing me to manually hit it. I understand this can be a “way of usage” the developers chose, but I really don’t understand why don’t add an option, leaving the user to choose if he wants Bitwarden automatically hit the “submit” button or not.

2. Bitwarden does not updates automatically a credential when we, for example, change the password in a website (as Roboform does). Instead, Bitwarden creates a new credential, using for its name the URL. Is it possible to change this, in some setting, etc?

3. I noticed that the Windows app and the browser extension works separately. I.e., we have to use our master password twice, in both cases. Is this intentional, as an extra security layer?

Thanks in advance, guys.

4 Likes

Exactly. This reduces bitwarden, in my opinion, to a little more than a shared document that I have to update manually It makes no sense to me that they can’t simply get it as part of the action Firefox takes to save it. But whatever the reason, I see this way too often. But Warden does not integrate well in a lot of scenarios that it should.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback all, Bitwarden works best when the browser extension’s capability to manage credentials is disabled. It is also important to be mindful of using too many plugins.

Regarding password save/update detection, rest assured the autofill team is expanding to improve the current functionality.

I’m brand new to Bitwarden today and testing out for enterprise use. Is this still not a thing?
I’ve disabled all browser extensions and the browser’s password manager. Still, BitWarden does not prompt to save passwords. We’re looking to migrate from LastPass but not having this bare-bones feature might be a deal breaker before we even start. Even having to give a user instructions on how to configure their browser plugin to make this work (if it’s not working out of the box) may not be viable for us. I mean, “prompt to save a password” is literally the number two thing a password saving application is expected to do.

3 Likes

Thanks @anthony_S123 the team is working on improving the consistency of the save/update bar, so thanks for your patience!

If you’re using Firefox/Opera/vivaldi you can also tap the sidebar button to create a persistent experience.

Somehow, for some pages, the Bitwarden extension (Edge / Chrome) is now saving some passwords. Although, it won’t prompt to save multiple accounts for the same site (Google).

We’re in need a fully mature password management solution so it seems like Bitwarden likely isn’t an option for us. It’s a little weird how it feels like beta software and doesn’t do some of the most basic functions (especially given the price).

I do appreciate the response here though. A robust support system is critical for these sorts of applications.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Anthony, a lot of our community prefer to work in the sidebar/pop-out, but as I mentioned the team is aware and working on it :slight_smile:

I noticed this recently too. The input fields are very generic username password fields. However this was in an iframe page, it would be weird to assume that is is disabled for security reason while the opposite and more vulnerable (but accepted) actions is allowed namely using auto filling in an iframe. Are iframes not supported to save credentials?

100% correct.

I’ve tried everything. 3 browsers, two OSs…

Nothing works.

Blockquote
" did you already disable Firefox’s ability to manage passwords?"

Why does this have to be done? LastPass works just fine in Firefox without having to disable the Firefox built-in password manager.

I like to have both just in case.

There must be a way to make Bitwarden work without disabling this as other password managers achieve this.

I’d like to report the same. About 40% of times, I need to manually add a login information through the extension as Bitwarden cannot recognize the filled in fields. Also I noticed that in very rare cases it fills irrelevant fields out on new sites.
I only have uBlock, I still don’t care about cookies, Floccus and Gesturefy extensions installed.
It happens in other browsers, too, the same way.

Here’s a website that doesn’t work for example:
https://portal.immedis.com/#/account/login

I also like the mentioned feature request here in the thread that would put another button in the bar after capturing a login info to review/edit what it saves actually, as I don’t trust the behavior of the extension, unfortunately. I need to open it every time, which - if I can exaggerate - is almost rendering it into something where I would make notes of my password on paper.

2 Likes

Reporting here as well. I was using Bitwarden on Windows 7, Windows 10 Opera without any issues and now, but on fresh Windows 11 it is not showing any prompt to save new/changed password :frowning:

What is odd that it was working even with enabled browser’s built-in password manager as well.