Bitwarden incorrectly autofills password instead of username on common sites

I’m using Bitwarden with Edge for Android on a newish Android phone.

On the Google website and Amazon website, Bitwarden mistakenly inputs my password instead of my username.

I know I could do the investigation and make custom fields to correct this behavior on a site by site basis, but I have to imagine that if Bitwarden is making a mistake on two of the most visited sites in the world then something must be wrong with it’s logic.

This seems to happen more frequently on websites that have you enter the username, hit submit, and then ask for your password, rather than having username and password present together on one screen.

Is this a bug?

Hey @schwarznavy we’re not able to reproduce this on our end so far, can you fill out the auto-fill failure form in this Github issue and include your exact device model, for the team to investigate?

Sure, which GitHub issue?

Here is the link: Autofill isn't working on mobile (generally or for a specific site or app) · Issue #1389 · bitwarden/mobile · GitHub

I added my details for Log in to your PayPal account to your form and support request

Issue #1389 references a lot of other issues that directly relate to this. Many of them are closed, yet I’m still experiencing this issue. The most obvious (and important?) example is logging into www.google.com. Google splits the username request and the password request into two separate pages. Bitwarden incorrectly autofills the password instead of the username on the username request page. Ditto for www.amazon.com and others. This is perfectly captured in issue #1388, where Bitwarden indicates back in April 2021 that this is a known problem.

Is there a solution in the works for this? Pretty important pages (google, amazon) for a problem like this to go on for 1.5 years.

1 Like

I have no issues with amazon.com. You just need to create a custom field named ap_email that is linked to your Username. I suspect that logging in to Google can also be solved using custom fields (I would try identifierId for the custom filed name).

Didn’t realize there was linking with custom fields. I will check that out.

The fact that we need to do custom fields in order for bitwarden to function with two of the largest sites in the world means by definition that there is still a problem.

If you try to cross a border with your car while the border is closed it is not a problem of your car.

1 Like