Bitwarden after Death

When I die, I want either my next of kin, or my executor to be able to access all the information kept in my vault.
How do I give permissions for them to open my vault, or do I simply add my master password securely to my will?

If you have a Premium subscription, you can use the Emergency Access feature for this purpose.

1 Like

I haven´t and what is emergency access please?

If you click the link, you will get a full explanation. It basically allows you to authorize another individual (e.g., the executor of your will) to take over your Bitwarden account.

You only need the Premium subscription for one year (to set up the emergency access) — the emergency access will continue to work if your Premium subscription lapses (reverting you to a free account).

Thanks grb, although the article is a bit jargonistic.
If I fully understand it, I ask my executor to open a free account, I upgrade my account and invite him to be my emergency access agent. If and when he accepts, my master password is encrypted into his master password. If he requests access then I am informed and have a specified time to either accept or decline his request. If I am no longer alive than I can neither accept nor decline his request and the time ticks down until he gains access. He can then use the information in my vault to perform his duties as executor. Is this a fair precis?

1 Like

Yes, that is a fairly accurate summary. There is also a Bitwarden blog article (" Add peace of mind with Emergency Access") that describes this feature in less technical terms. In addition, when you invite your executor to become an emergency access “grantee” for your vault, you have the option of specifying whether they get read-only access to your vault, or fully take over your vault.

1 Like

Thank you, you have been very helpful.

1 Like

If one of your emergency contacts inadvertantly requests access and you deny it, can they still request future access and be granted access?

@Tom_Burns Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, I couldn’t give you a definitive response to your question, although I would be surprised if future access requests are prevented in such a scenario.

To get a definitive answer, I would suggest either conducting an experiment, or contacting Customer Support.