Biometrics auto-prompt on Window Focus (after locking vault)

@bw-admin It is not an additional feature: the behavior of fingerprint login in Bitwarden for Windows is not working like the one on Android, Chrome and Mac Bitwarden.
Is a correction in order to have a coherent process between all Bitwareden application a bug or a feature? I would call this a bug in the process.

Thanks for providing further information @Christop. After checking in with the engineering team, this is currently the way that the desktop clients work and is not a bug (ie, something broken or working other than as programmed) and so we will leave this feature request open for voting and discussion.

Rest assured I have passed on the feedback to the team.

@bw-admin Your Windows client in incoherent with your other apps. Please make it coherent.

Furthermore it is a security hole ! I would understand if I had to 1st enter my text master password and then use the fingerprint when it is in the tray! But not the other way around like it is currently :sweat:

Thanks for the feedback, Iā€™ve updated the feature request title to reflect the functionality that would need to be developed to support this functionality, ā€œBiometrics auto-prompt on Window Focus (after locking vault)ā€

Thank you. You can precise that this feature is just to have Bitwarden for Windows biometric behaving like Bitwarden for Android and Mac.

Mac would also be included in the list since currently if you lock the vault and revisit from dock, you similarily have to hit the ā€˜unlock with biometricsā€™ button.

About Biometrics auto-prompt on Window Focus (after locking vault) Ā· Issue #3012 Ā· bitwarden/clients Ā· GitHub
What is the argument to say it is expected ?

If not done, Bitwarden desktop app is inconsistent on this point with Bitwarden for Chrome: Bitwarden for Chrome auto-prompt Biometrics.

The renaming in ā€œBiometrics auto-prompt on Window Focus (after locking vault)ā€ is incorrect with the conversation in this thread: it is not on Windows focus, but on relaunching the app.

I have the same problem of OP btw

We are nearly coming around to a year and this bug is still not corrected.
Thought the app was broken because Windows Hello suddenly stopped but itā€™s your hands being tied.
If you want instant Hello for desktop you need to turn off minimise to system tray and open each time.
Then if you try to use Hello in the browser it wonā€™t work because the app isnā€™t running.
If you set it to minimise to system tray to ensure its always running then desktop Hello stops.
How do you have the desktop app directly conflicting with your other apps with better workflow!

Even when the app is set to minimize to system tray, the auto-prompt on Windows focus is not showing up.

Hi all,
Iā€™ve had this issue for ages regarding Windows Hello on multiple devices.
Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s Birwarden specific as its mainly primarily the app I use for Hello authentication other than lock screen. There are mentions of it on their Github.

Anyway, it was annoying enough that I made a simple app that mitigates it completely.
Itā€™s freely available here: https://github.com/ados8/Hellofy
May it make your lives easier :wink:.

1 Like