Ask for PIN without opening a new tab

Currently, if the vault is locked with PIN and you will try to use a browser’s context menu to autofill it will open a new tab to enter the PIN.

I think it should be on the same page (popup / opening extension window / opening desktop app).

Yes, I am also facing this issue.
You are using Firefox, right?
This seems like a bug. Earlier, the browser extension would appear in a small window when using the keyboard shortcut or context menu.

I suggest you to open a new issue on GitHub - bitwarden/browser: The browser extension vault (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge, Safari, & more).

Before, the context menu and shortcut would not do anything with a locked vault.

Now when the vault is locked, and you use the context menu or autofill shortcut, you are prompted to log in via a new tab with whatever method you have chosen (Master Password, PIN, Biometrics). Once logged in, that tab closes automatically and executes the previously selected action (i.e autofill)

What @Eugene_Bos is requesting, is to instead have it open up in either:

1. A browser popup (which we decided against as it was quite intrusive and might open on another screen)
  2. Via the browser extension window, which is unfortunately technically not possible
  3. Via the Desktop app, IMHO a very complicated and more intrusive combination with a lot of overhead to sign in. Besides that it currently is not possible to sign in to the Desktop app and then automagically be signed in into the browser extension. There is a request open here though: Login to browser extensions when logging into desktop app and vice versa
1 Like

Its both Chrome and Firefox

Haa…okay
Thanks for the clarification Daniel.

@Eugene_Bos If you want to open the browser extension in a small window, i think it is better to use the the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+Y instead of using the Ctrl+Shift+L shortcut or context menu.

After using Ctrl+Shift+Y, you can use Ctrl + Shift + L to autofill.

1 Like

Currently, when using the “autofill last login” shortcut, Bitwarden will redirect me to a new tab where I have to enter my PIN before the autofill will complete. This takes my focus away from the website I’m trying to sign in to, and is just an annoying source of visual whiplash.

Instead, we should open the browser action pop-up when a PIN or password is required; the user can fill it in, press enter, and the login can be autofilled while the pop-up disappears from view.

This way will simply feel more cohesive and smooth. It isn’t a very big change, but it should be worth implementing.

Actually, it is (sometimes) even worse: if browsing in Incognito mode, the unlock screen will be launched in a new browser window (which is not Incognito). So I think it would be an improvement if the browser extension could at least detect whether or not the browser is Incognito, and not open a new, non-incognito window when unlocking is required (hope this comment is not straying too far from the original request).

Not entirely sure why, but recently Bitwarden has been opening a whole new browser window, not just a new tab. That in itself is not really a problem, I just type my pin and the tab closes again.
However, since I’ve got browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab set to false in my about:config (Firefox), the window remains and clutters up my desktop.
Is there a way to force it to stick to opening a new tab in the currently active window?

Not unless you manually revert to version 2023.8. However, there is a PR in progress that will open the prompt within the browser extension’s pop-up bubble. That should fix the type of issue that you have described.