Additional item types (pre-defined)

I am also very disappointed…

2 Likes

Hey folks - I think it’s important to note that our Roadmap is not all-encompassing of items that we are looking into and working towards.

Item types and/or item templates are absolutely on our radar, but we of course have some other items in the queue but are working through items as quickly as possible.

7 Likes

Please add my vote for this feature. It’s what keeping me from a complete switch over.

2 Likes

Security first. Thanks!

2 Likes

After nearly 2 years I I logged into my (empty) LastPass account today and wanted to see if there are new types of entries that should be added in Bitwarden.
When I create a secure note then I can no longer select the type of note:

First I thought that they removed the different types of entry.
But after a while I recognized the little “All Items” link at the top (that is really hidden).

If I click this, then I can select the different type of entry:

For Bitwarden I suggest that you make the types of entries clearly visible.

In my opinion the following entries are most important:

1. Membership (where I can add all my member cards)
  2. WIFI
  3. Email Account
  4. Instant Messenger
  5. Server

The list is ordered by importance.

7 Likes

Hey, just ditched 1Password (still demo) for BW Premium. One of the main reasons I switched is BW’s super clean, uncluttered UI. I too would like to have additional item types like WiFi, Routers, Software Licenses etc. But whatever you do, please make it customizable and don’t ruin the great streamlined look and feel! Let us hide unused item types and give us the option to create our own types. That would be awesome!

4 Likes

Hey, just ditched 1Password (still demo) for BW Premium. One of the main reasons I switched is BW’s super clean, uncluttered UI. I too would like to have additional item types like WiFi, Routers, Software Licenses etc. But whatever you do, please make it customizable and don’t ruin the great streamlined look and feel! Let us hide unused item types and give us the option to create our own types. That would be awesome!

Ditto on all points. :+1:

(The UI/UX experience of Bitwarden is indeed top notch… at least the webversion and Chrome extension, not so much (yet!) the iOS apps for example)

5 Likes

So this is now the 2nd most voted feature request. May I know if the development team has any idea to add this feature in 2021? Only after that can I fully migrate from LastPass to BitWarden

4 Likes

It would be great if there was a specific form to archive email accounts.
default fields: User, password, server server pop / smtp / imap, port … without having to use additional strings every time. Same feature for wifi credential, SSID, passphrase, authentication method …

2 Likes

Sad to see this hasn’t been implemented. If this product had more robust form types I would have went with it over 1pass.

4 Likes

This thread is HOW OLD!? I just DUMPED lastpass and imported my data here to see if its a good fit, but seriously I need form types. Is this still just sat on the backlog queue?

3 Likes

@jxmac:Why not make use of the custom fields ?

2 Likes

Custom Fields + Cloning makes short work of any ‘custom’ types you’d like :sunglasses: - but this is still on our roadmap!

5 Likes

I tried to summarize the comments from this whole thread here:

• Custom templates need to auto-fill
  • Custom templates need to be shareable in an Organization (both the custom templates and the items implemented from them)
  • Allow different Bitwarden users to share their creations with other users (maybe a copy/paste xml code or something would be easy)
  • Allow us to set custom icons for custom templates, with transparency supported
  • Bitwarden’s default templates could be treated just like our custom templates, which would let us edit or remove them. The same flags and special behaviors that the built-in templates use would also be available for us to add to our custom templates.
  • Allow us to remove or hide the built-in templates
  • During import, Bitwarden could create custom templates to match exactly what is imported, rather than the current behavior of just adding “custom fields” to a built-in template.
  • If a field is left blank, do not show that blank field when viewing the read-only item (outside of Edit mode).
  • Allow duplicating existing templates when creating a new one
  • Allow sorting and filtering the Vault based on Template Type
  • Add more datatypes that enforce their formatting (integer, decimal, date, datetime, email address, URL, single line string, multi line string, etc).

And some additional ideas to add to the list:

• If we want to add a custom template that behaves like an Identity, we’ll need a flag for our template that tells Bitwarden to add our custom item to the list of Identities that the user can select from when filling a web form. Same with custom Login-like items.
  • The “date” datatype could have a calendar picker control that includes a button to quickly select today’s date.
  • Add a boolean attribute for each field called “secure field” that hides the actual field value behind asterisks, and has a “Toggle Visibility” button like the password field
  • Add a boolean attribute for each field called “never autofill” so that field can’t be accidentally leaked to a website.
  • Add a boolean attribute for each field called “allow multiple” so the user editing an item of that Template Type can click a little plus icon to add another copy of that field (like the existing “New URI” button)
8 Likes

Oh man. I was so close to switching from 1Pass, but I love all the categories they have already predefined. I will hold out a bit longer!

4 Likes

As an addition to this, it would be useful if each pre-defined type got its own icon (or at the very least color), so you can easily distinguish them!

3 Likes

I really want categories, custom fields doesn’t really help me unfortunately. But appreciate the suggestion.

1 Like

Templates, Templates, Templates. MOAR templates. This is a deal killer for growing users migrating from other password managers. There are 430 votes for this alone. It remains unimplemented after 2 years and still no movement or deliverable/roadmap/ETA announcements.

Add in 288 votes for Building my own pre-defined item types (templates).
Add in 173 votes for Add more pre-defined item types.
Add in 20 more for Building my own pre-defined item types (templates).

This is a critical blocking factor to BW’s future growth and adoption. It could even be monetized in the form of “basic” templates at the free level and “premium” templates at the premium/paid levels.

I too am deeply disappointed that I will not be migrating from LP due to this precise issue, and will be canceling premium and family plans. So much organization in LP has been lost and simply no corresponding capability in BW that is worth the amount of effort I have to put in to my migration to make BW passable as a replacement for the family.

4 Likes

I paid for premium for the year and no movement so I cancelled the premium when it just came up for renewal. Considering going back to 1Password.
This company doesn’t listen to what the users want.

@GadgetMan @mike808

Thanks for the feedback! We have this item high on our backlog and want to approach it in a way that is flexible for everyone.

We are working diligently to balance requests, and have released quite a few forum-requested features last year, and early this year, including but not limited to:

And a few more can be seen here: Bitwarden Roadmap

We are definitely listening, the pesky challenge is always that linear time/space issue we keep running into!

8 Likes