Additional item types (pre-defined)

We’re working on a lot of things :grin:

It’s a high priority item on our backlog but isn’t in planning stages just yet.

6 Likes

I miss also entrys for Debit Card and other entrys on Maestro. Hope the entrys from first Post coming soon.

3 Likes

I just wanted to add my voice here (in addition to a vote). The lack of this feature is the main reason I don’t use Bitwarden much (and also haven’t subscribed yet). Not seeing this in the near term roadmap (more than two years since the initial proposal) is also quite disappointing. Sorry, I just had to vent this out.

5 Likes

I went from Safe in Cloud to bitwarden (moved since its hosted on gdrive and it didnt have a dark mode).
you could make custom templates and so on. This is something i really need… and im starting to regret the move because of it. i still use it because of it. Hope this gets added soon or ill have to move on to something else…

2 Likes

Till then, you can use secure notes or a login item with custom fields as a temporary solution. Whenever you need to add a new item just clone the one you already created, its like using a template.

3 Likes

I’m using secure note, but thats just not cutting it… i like bitwarden and would love to use it by default, but in this stage i cant.

2 Likes

Even though it’s a very old post but such a disappointment to not have this basic yet very very important feature.

Edit: it would be much better to give this functionality to user, to create custom templates instead of having more predefined templates.

4 Likes

Well the team is pretty small but it has grown in large number over the years. So we should expect them to take time to develop new features. It may sound simple to us but a feature like this might require a lot of work. I also really want this feature.

2 Likes

I keep checking back to see if the feature has been implemented, alas no :frowning:

I have good hard cash ready to spend when you finally get around to adding this feature, till then 1password it is.

1 Like

Seems like Bitwarden team is more focused on implementing enterprise features, such as SSO. This makes sense, since its probably going to give them more profit, when they sell the service to businesses. I guess we just have to wait, and hope that, sometime in the future they have time to implement this

2 Likes

It’s an interesting mixture - we’ve been focused on sharing/deploying management items recently, which are definitely handy for enterprises and medium/large organizations. However, we want these organizations and their subscribers to really use Bitwarden, and the only way for that to happen is to keep a focus on end-user needs as well.

In short, we aren’t losing sight of user-features! We’re taking a little bit of a zig/zag approach with feature additions. Stay tuned!

5 Likes

Sorry tgreer - Trey Greer,

It’s taking way too long this was originally requested more than 2.5 YEARS AGO. If it doesn’t happen soon I am going to have to go back to 1Password, good thing I kept my account going with them.
I can understand 3-6 months but not almost 3 years, way tooooo long and 359 votes should tell you it should be being worked on and almost done by now.

3 Likes

I also used 1Password and loved this feature. But there is a small difference (for me) spending $40/y for 1Password or $10/y for Bitwarden. So actually I will do without this feature, spend some money and wait till this is implemented. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks @DenalB!

@GadgetMan, I totally understand. Please do keep in mind that Bitwarden has grown significantly, recently. Items that have been in the queue before 2020 had to be balanced between a small team that was focused on security and transparency first and foremost.

For more info on Bitwarden and the growth this year, check out this blog post: https://bitwarden.com/blog/post/bitwarden-in-2020/

6 Likes

Thanks @tgreer for explanation. :+1:

2 Likes

Two years had passed and I still can’t move to Bitwarden from Enpass because of this reason, even though URI matching provided by the former is much better than the latter.

2 Likes

Can you specify some of the item types you are using? I just want to know :grinning:

1 Like

Some common fields I use:

• Security Question / Answer (type: password)
  • Recovery Key (type: secure text)
  • Registration First Name / Last Name (type: text)
  • Registration Email (type: email) (not username)
  • Registration Phone (type: phone)

For some complex objects (think setting up a home server), I’ll have multiple passwords, ports, and other info.

5 Likes

Just my pedestrian observations: if you look at how products or services like 1Password evolved, they solved problems for the average user or consumer segment first, expanded it to have a robust feature set over years, and then later pivoted to the enterprise segment based on the strength of the features implemented already.

Bitwarden seems to be following a mixed approach, and the current focus on enterprise seems a bit premature considering that key features like this (which would be important in the enterprise segment) aren’t available.

2 Likes

From 2018, 362 votes right now. Still not present on roadmap.

6 Likes