Add essential keyboard shortcuts & navigation

All I am missing once I toggle search is the ability to navigate and press Enter to launch the site. At the moment (FF version) you can Ctrl+Shift+U to search then use tab to select a result. Pressing enter shows the overview. If it launched the site by default instead that would fill my need. Or provide some alternative means of launching via keyboard only input.

1 Like

I’ll name my first born after you if you implement this!

2 Likes

Is this feature request for the desktop app only? I would prefer same/similar shortcuts for all apps, including the extensions.

For example, I’m missing a shortcut for locking/unlocking the vault conveniently. The (Windows) desktop app provides it but the (Firefox) browser extension does not.

+1. Just joined from LastPass. Keyboard shortcuts are very limited in comparison. Being able to achieve the most common tasks on the keyboard is really a basic\MVP feature.

For example, there is no way of copying Secure Notes using the keyboard. I can Ctrl-Shift-Y, type the note, tab to the one I want, but then I’m stuck. I have to switch to mouse to actually perform the copy. I used to do this all the time using LP, so it is a big loss of productivity. I’d suggest adding a new keyboard shortcut that copies. Alternatively, as others have suggested, repurpose the enter key, which is better used to perform the copy than open the Edit page, since copying the contents of an item is far more common than editing. Enter is the shortcut LP uses.

Of secondary importance: arrow keys would be better than tab to navigate to the desired item. Most of the time, people want to access the contents of secrets, not create one. Currently, tabbing cycles through the add\plus button, so is an extra key press before the first one is highlighted.

I have created GitHub issue #921 for this.

1 Like

This Github issue has been closed because GitHub issues for new features are not allowed. Is this on the roadmap? How can we tell?

Feature requests in this forum have no associated Github issue, so no link with the actual product development in terms of commits\PRs. Hence there are no real progress updates in this Feature Request. It can be open forever without any status changes and feedback to users.

GitHub issues can get version milestones and visibility on the product roadmap. Feature requests in this forum do not.

Github issues can go stale after inactivity. Feature requests in a forum do not. Too many GitHub issues that go stale look bad reputationally for the project and encourage regular updates. Too many feature requests remain open for years? Meh, who cares? I expect this is an unfair exaggeration of the attitude in this project, but the jist of this point holds.

IMO, should be both. As now, users should request features in this forum using their language (not always precise enough), then devs\admins create one or more associated GitHub issues with the necessary precision and post links to these in the forum Feature Request. Creation of a GitHub issue shows that the devs do actually give a sh!t and intend to do something about it. Other FOSS projects, eg RockStor work well with this setup.

It’s not enough for project leadership to promise they’ll keep an eye on a forum. Meaningful feedback via GitHub issues is also necessary. They serve different purposes and types of people, but both are needed.

At the time that the switch-over from GitHub issues to the Feature Requests forum was made I gave the benefit of the doubt to @kspearrin, since I could see a lot of repetition and no easy way to float the most popular ideas up for action. I contributed to many feature request threads.

But I have to say that I don’t feel the same sense of “momentum” in this project that I did last year. From the GitHub release history** for the browser extension, it appears that it’s been primarily bugfixes since Dec/Jan. Bugfixes are certainly welcome but as a paying customer I do think there should be a visible roadmap that gives me an idea when new features can be expected.

Are keyboard shortcuts even on the radar??

** would love a more accessible “change log”, ideally linked from within the app itself…a bit funny (read: disappointing) that I had to make this a feature request being voted on in itself.

1 Like

I would like to see this as well; it’s pretty low-hanging fruit as far as new features go—easy to implement and would greatly improve UX.

I would like basic keyboard shortcuts in the windows app as well. Tabbing to fields is fine for many use cases, like searching and navigating results, but going from a result to the copy password icon can take a long time if there are many search hits. Even just providing only arrow key (or h, l) for horizontal navigation across the vertical panels of the app (from items, to search results, to item information…) would satisfy my primary need.

Coming from 1Password and not being able to use arrows to get around, copy, etc from the browser extension sure makes Bitwarden more time-consuming to use. How does a user know the status of a feature request, specifically, this one :slight_smile:

Agreed - trying to migrate from 1P and am finding that a lot of the UI usability tools are not quite there in BW … as of yet. Will come back in future updates!

1 Like

I’m a 1Password migrant, keyboard shortcuts and keyboard navigation are a must have for me.

BUMP! The lack of basic keyboard shortcuts is my biggest annoyance after switching from KeePass. The most important ones are:

Ctrl+B: Copy username
Ctrl+C: Copy password
Ctrl+U: Copy URL

A keyboard shortcut to Favorites would be nice too. Maybe Ctrl+E or something. Further, it would also be a good option to be able to change the default page to Favorites instead of All Items. The whole point of the Favorites list, as I see it, is to have a convenient list of your most used entries. Being able to set Favorites as your default page would make it that much more convenient.

Another idea, if adding keyboard shortcuts is out of the question for some reason: It would be much more convenient for users to be able to just click anywhere in the info field to copy the desired info to the clipboard (as opposed to clicking the copy button). It seems trivial, but I think it would improve the UX quite a bit.

Hope to see these basic keyboard shortcuts implemented in the near future :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I feel a major improvement to UX would be to make the extension pop-up work with arrow keys immediately after opening. Currently you have to hit TAB three times before you start cycling through your logins. The selected entry should also be made more visible, and auto-filled on enter key.

You could also do something similar to 1password, and have the selected item copied to clipboard through some hotkeys like, copy username, copy password, copy TOTP.

We really shouldn’t try to bind over Ctrl+C.

make the extension pop-up work with arrow keys

I couldn’t agree more. I tried BitWarden but switched back to LastPass because of its superior keyboard shortcuts. Requests for improvement such as this have been unfulfilled for years. A basic design principle has been overlooked: how can the most common functionality be achieved in as few key presses as possible?

1 Like

Some more thoughts on this:
Focus the search field when you open BitWarden (Desktop version) so that you can search directly when you opened bitwarden.
Keyboard shortcut to focus the search field.

1 Like

I would love to see a shortcut to just copy the password for a selected login, it would save a couple of tabs and some mental endurance.

Like Ctrl-Shift-C or Ctrl-Shift-P or the like.

What I had in the Enpass plugin was nice – CTRL+/ would autofill whatever site I was currently on. I do like that quite a lot.

Keyboard shortcuts in the browser extension are absolutely critical to me, as it currently stands I’m on the verge of changing back to Enpass because of the lack of them in Bitwarden. It’s the only important feature missing from Bitwarden, which is excellent in every other way.

When I’m on a page with a login form, I hit Cmd-Shift-Y, and there is then no way to use the keyboard to navigate the list of possible logins. Pressing tab just cycles through Pop out > Search > Add item. Down and up keys do nothing.