Why is Bitwarden constantly reading and writing to the hard disk?

BitWarden is constantly reading and writing small chunks, either 264 bytes or around 10 or 11K, from the hard disk. Why ? It is just sitting there in the Taskbar and I am not doing anything on the computer.
This happens whether the vault is locked or unlocked.

This is on Windows 10 and Windows 11. Fully updated/patched in both cases.
Version 1.31.3
Shell 16.0.7
Renderer 96.0.4664.110
Node 16.9.1
Architecture x64

Strange - it definitely doesn’t do that for me on three Windows10 machines.

Just a guess, but it sounds like something may have been corrupted. I suggest uninstalling the app, rebooting the machine, and reinstalling the app again, which should reset it. Let us know how you make out!

I have uninstalled and reinstalled, after downloading a fresh copy, and I get the same thing. After 2h30 minutes, BW had read 670MB and written 250MB.

I doubt that it has something to do with the computers or the Windows installation. I get the exact same behavior on a Windows 10 Home installation and a Windows 11 Home installation running the Insider Dev channel.

Also noticed that the command-line features a “field-trial-handle” option. A mistery…

The command-line

Which tool is this ? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Thank you very much Alain.

For everyone else who is interested, this seems to be the homepage: MiTeC Homepage

And VirusTotal seems to be ok with it:

Download-URL https://www.mitec.cz/Downloads/TMX.zip (0/93):

Downloaded file (0/62):

Here is what BitWarden is doing. This was created using Process Monitor from SysInternals