Why does BitWarden keep offering to save logins, even when it already exists?

Note: Your question may already be answered in the Bitwarden Help Center.

Just a reminder - All Enterprise, Teams, Families, and Premium subscribers receive priority support at Get in Touch | Bitwarden :partying_face:
Generally loving Bitwarden, much more stable + consistent than RoboForm.
However, one thing that does annoy…
When I login to a site, even though I already have the login details saved in Bitward, quite often is still pops up a banner offering to save the password etc?
This does not make sense - I can see a 1 on the Bitwarden extension icon, so it knows it acknowledges it has a password for the site.
Can’t it check the details and compare to the store one =- before offering to save it - i.e. only if different?
I have seen this behaviour in Chrome, Edge and Firefox versions on Windows (and I am pretty sure on my Raspberry Pi Firefox browser too).

i’ve noticed this a few times too. one of the recent times i had just filled the password with bitwarden. strange and unexpected behavior.

Noticed it few times

Any update to this one? I recently migrated from LastPass and am very happy with BW. The only issue so far is it prompting for every site as to whether it should add it when it already has the credentials for that site/url.

1 Like

@Gary_B Welcome to the forum!

Is your browser extension locked or unlocked when you are getting these prompts?

Now that is a very smart question. Very probably it’s not. The credentials may have been populated by the browser and the extension is locked by default. I will try unlocking at the start of a session and see what happens.

Thank you very much for pointing out something that makes tons of sense and i should have thought of myself :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

In addition, you should probably disable the browser’s autofill functions (and password saving), since these can interfere with the proper funcitoning of the Bitwarden browser extension — although I’m unsure whether this could contribute to the problem you experienced.

Thanks for your help: as you suggested the issue was due to me not unlocking the extension at the start of a browser session. I will put a little more thought into the next issue before I start emailing others.

Enjoy the rest of your (warm) summer!

1 Like