Who are Bitwarden

I have been using Bitwarden premium for a while now and decicided to check who I was dealing with…

Two things I noticed:

1. On the Company/about page there is nothing telling us who/where/owners of Bitwarden. Nothing about the company at all. Just some sales blurb… Makes me a little nervous that I do not know who I am trusing with my passwords and financial details… Yikes…

2. In the blog there are no dates given for the Blog items. This drives me nuts as I have no idea if they are recent and by defintion worth reading. It also suggests that the Blog is not maintained and therefore useless.

Does anyone agree with my observations?

Thomas

I would like to know more about the people and organisations behind Bitwarden aswell. Bitwarden Inc.

Hello @Thomas_Dahl,
can you give a specific example where the date is missing?
In my case I can see dates pretty well:
If you mean “community.bitwarden.com” the date is on your right side :slight_smile:.

Your passwords are encrypted before saving into database. Therefore you are not trusting anyone in that sense (so never lose your master password).
Since it is open source link, everybody with Dev knowledge can check it out.

In case you are not a developer, there is a trick for you:
Generate a random password with bitwarden and save it there. On the original site put that random password + another smaller password, that way nobody has really access to any of your account. Example:

RANDOMPASSWORD-thisisprivate

As in the picutre, Kyle is the creator of the software (originally) and the one who created the company. You can also see that on github.

Hope the information helps :slight_smile:

5 Likes

To add to what Pulsar said.

You are only trusting yourself with your passwords and financial details. How Bitwarden works has been studied in great detail, by greater minds than mine. They found nothing serious and the small things they found have been resolved. If you doubt me, which you can do if you like, do some research, as the necessary information is available to those who want to look at it.

There is no backdoor in Bitwarden, see my previous paragraph for how to check this. That means that if you forget/lose your password then tough, which is why not forgetting it is emphasised in the instructions.

1 Like

I come from the Signal community, where application code is open source, server code is open source, foundation tax records are published. I am fully capable of doing research, and looking through the code myself. We are not talking about backdoors, malicious updates, or any technical details here. What we are seeking is organisational transparency, and we should not have to dig this information up. Instead they should make it available in the About Us section of the website where it belongs, for the good of everyone, to avoid any misunderstanding or misinformation.

Alright here it is.

Open source password management solutions for individuals, teams, and business organizations.

Specialities: Password Management Identity Management Secret Management

Headquarters: Santa Barbara

Company size: 11-50

Industry: Computer Software

Bitwarden Inc. is a Delaware Domestic Corporation filed on October 28, 2019. The company’s filing status is listed as Active and its File Number is 7654941.

The Registered Agent on file for this company is The Corporation Trust Company and is located at Corporation Trust Center 1209 Orange St, Wilmington, DE 19801.

Company age: 10 months

Bitwarden Inc is a California Foreign Corporation filed on July 2, 2020. The company’s filing status is listed as Active and its File Number is C4612828.

The Registered Agent on file for this company is Stephen Lawrence Morrison and is located at 1 North Calle Cesar Chavez Ste 102, Santa Barbara, CA 93103. The company’s principal address is 1 North Calle Cesar Chavez Ste 102, Santa Barbara, CA 93103 and its mailing address is 1 North Calle Cesar Chavez Ste 102, Santa Barbara, CA 93103.

The company has 1 principal on record. The principal is Stephen Lawrence Morrison from Santa Barbara CA.

Company Age: 1 Month

Stephen: Account man
Kyle: Man behind the original idea, current day CTO

it used to be a one man army but since last year the company has grown to the current headcount of 20 members. I think LinkedIn is right now the most updated place to know : https://www.linkedin.com/company/bitwarden1/

Did some reasearch, and confirmed this information with the help of support staff. Cheers! Bitwarden support has said they will try to improve a few things. Hopefully we see more information freely available in the future!

2 Likes

@Junkii glad you were able to get the information you wanted. LinkedIn is a good place to keep track of folks working with us for sure.

Just to add further clarification, Bitwarden Inc. owns 8bit solutions, LLC which was the original company Kyle founded in 2016.

5 Likes

Also @Thomas_Dahl, your dates are there now :metal:

3 Likes

I think this is a good reason for organisational transparency-
How the US government (CIA) used a private company and well respected cryptography experts to deliberately sell weak encryption to the world for more than 50 years, spying on different governments and countries including NATO allies.