When searching, sort name/URL matches above other matches

Feature name

• When searching, sort name/URL matches above other matches

Feature function

• As of a recent update, it seems the search function finds matches not only in an item’s name, but also other fields, such as the username. This is generally great but creates some issues when looking for items that relate to common login credentials.
  • If I use a certain e-mail account for lots of items (e.g. example@gmail(dot)com) but then try to find my Gmail account in bitwarden, there’s an issue: Searching for “gmail” returns all items that have exmaple@gmail(dot)com as its username alphabetically by item name, so it takes a bit of scrolling to find the item for “gmail(dot)com” itself.
  • This could be fixed if, in search, matches in name/URL (e.g. the item named or containing “gmail” or associated with the URL “gmail(dot)com”) would be displayed before all other matches.

I haven’t found a feature request concerning exactly this, please excuse me if it already exists. Also, as new users are limited to posting only two links, I had to substitute dots with (dot).

I also saw this after the update.
Really annoying and not so easy to find something specific.
Maybe put the passcard/secure notes before others with a separation line.
Or a checkbox near the search box with for example ‘find all’

One of the things I find really annoying about using Bitwarden is that the sorting algorithm for returned search results is so dumb. Here’s an example to show what I mean:

A lot of sites [ironically, this is one too] will allow you to use your Google / Twitter FB / account to sign in. Now, if I’m visiting one of those sites and choose to login with Google, I have to use the search in the Bitwarden popup to find my Google login, because the site I’m visiting isn’t on a Google domain.

I have a couple of Gmail accounts saved in Bitwarden as ‘<accountname> - Gmail’. However, when I search for ‘Gmail’ [even using upper case], Bitwarden returns search results for the hundreds of sites where I’ve signed up with Gmail and therefore my username is ‘<somename>@gmail.com’. I have to scroll through all of these every time to find the login details for my actual Gmail account, so I can copy my password.

Bitwarden should prioritise search results matching the name of the site and/or the title I have given the saved login over the username I login to the site with [especially when this an email address or the same username I use across dozens of sites]

1 Like