Very confused on premium features and cost

Note: Your question may already be answered in the Bitwarden Help Center.

I want to have sharing AND attachments allowd for 2 people.
I want to have unlimited collections for organizing what I share.

How do I do this?

Do I need 2 individual premium accounts?
Do I need a family account?
Do I need a team account?

Very confusing… thanks!

1 Like

Hi!

To share items you’ll need an organization. Family organizations seem like the best bet for you, as they will allow premium features and sharing.

Here’s some more information that may be helpful:

https://bitwarden.com/help/article/about-bitwarden-plans/#families-organizations

Yep, @tgreer is correct. A family organization is the way to go.

Attachments are a premium feature, so both of you need the premium features.

Technically, you can host a free organization to share items, but it is limited to only TWO collections, which doesn’t sound like that is enough for you. Also, I am not sure if you get shared attachments with the free organization (Trey can probably confirm), but you definitely can do it with a Family Organization plan.

Just to add to the above, Family comes with Premium access for each member.

I upgraded to a family membership for this reason but it still won’t let me move secure notes with attachments to the ‘organization’ level from My Vault.

Do I need to re-create these within the ‘organization’ vault in order to share these documents with my husband?

Hey @jmamacat if you recently made a change to your plan, did you try logging out and back in, then try moving the item again?

2 Likes

And @jmamacat - make sure you have setup the organization first, before trying to move anything. You will also have to invite your husband to the organization. See here:

1 Like

ty, yes! I’m working with support to figure it out…

I got confused about the structure; trying to untangle it all now! TY!

1 Like

I have just decided to switch from LastPass. I initially just selected the free version. I am prompted to upgrade to premium for additional features. Just what are those features?

An additional question, If I wanted to give access to additional people (siblings) access to my account, what would I have to do? You said
“Family organizations seem like the best bet for you, as they will allow premium features and sharing.”

1. How many other people would I be able to share things with?
  2. Would they need to have a premium act as well?
  3. I want a son and daughter to have access to my act because of my age. Could I not simply give them my act. login information?
  4. Is premium required to assign items to folders?

Thanks

Hey @golfgame and welcome to the community,

I think you’ll find many of your answers in the Bitwarden help section.

For premium individual accounts that can be found here.
These include features such as

including advanced 2FA options, the Bitwarden authenticator (TOTP), encrypted file attachments, emergency access and more.

1. The family plan includes up to 6 members total, so yourself and an additional 5 friends/family members can be invited to share.

2. For premium families plans the features can be found https://bitwarden.com/help/about-bitwarden-plans/#families-organizations, but essentially this provides much of the same features such as TOTP code generation with the Bitwarden authenticator, and attaching files, etc. as is provided in the individual plan, but for your Family Organization Vault.
    I would also note, having the single family plan allows the members of than plan to also gain premium benefits to their individual vaults as well, so no need to purchase premium individually if you just all want to share the cost of a single family plan.

3. You absolutely could do this, but another feature that would most likely work best for you (especially given any issues such as having 2FA on your personal vault, though you could probably work around this with the two children) would be the emergency access feature. As this allows for the setup of trusted contacts for either view only, or takeover ability for your personal vault in the event it is needed, with a predetermined “wait” time.

4. Folders are specific to your individual vault for organization, these will be replaced with a tag system in a coming release, but you can have as many as you’d like on the free plan.
    Organizations also have a similar structure to folders called collections. With a free organization you are limited to 2 collections, with a premium Org you can have an unlimited number of collections.

More details about the plan comparisons for Individual Premium and Families Organizations can be found below.

Hope that helps
-Cheers :slightly_smiling_face: