Vault Item Sharing

Cheer! I can appreciate how much work it will be.

When I need to send login credentials in a business capacity, it would be so handy to have a ‘share via send’ choice in the list of choices when viewing an item. Quite often, the people I am sending the information to are not even aware of password managers. This would be an excellent way to get them the information they want and at the same time, subtly advertise BitWarden to them. Most people don’t respond to any form of direct advertising anymore - especially those who are security conscious. If they can look at BitWarden on their own time and at their own pace when being the recipient of a BitWarden Send, best of both worlds - IMHO.

Hi @tgreer, do you have any updates on this Item Sharing with individual users? Is it still in the roadmap for 2022?
My company is evaluating a new password manager (even with a paid business plan for 130 people), but this feature is a blocker on the adoption of bitwarden because it’s used a lot within the team

It would be a great feature to have and to support the project!

Trey (tgreer) has left Bitwarden quite some time ago.

The current roadmap can be found here:

1 Like

Hey @cassvail the team is currently working on flexible collections, which will help with self managed user-to-user sharing, stay tuned for more info :+1:

3 Likes

For premium/paying customers, integrating this into Bitwarden Send feature would be very helpful. I would love to be able to click “Share via send” on a password entry, select expiration rules, and share with an individual like I do today with text/files.

1 Like

As I posted separately, my hope is for simple sharing to user(s), which is a feature my corp uses in lastpass quite a lot. Since people are fleeing lp I expect more wanting an alternative with this feature.

Well, don’t forget self hosted users this time… Thanks

I have just started testing Bitwarden to make the move from Lastpass, but I’m a bit surprised the sharing is so limited unless I am missing something?

I am the owner and IT manager for my business so I have Lastpass deployed for our core staff of 5 people. We use shared folders which everyone has access to for general company-wide shares. We then have a few extended contractors/consultants that are also on Lastpass and need access to only a few discrete items. For those users, I simply share a vault item to those contractors and only the staff who needs that access.

Finally, I have about 6 family members who are NOT tech savvy at all and I set them up on Lastpass so we can share passwords using the share vault-item function in Lastpass. Given the limits around organizations, this seems impossible to carry out in bitwarden?

Am I right to understand that there is no functionality or workaround to do something like this in Bitwarden? If so, this is really sad because it is absolutely a deal breaker on migrating to Bitwarden.

1 Like

Check out the Roadmap here. This should be coming some time in the first half of 2023 it looks like.

2 Likes

Hi @JeremyCouch thanks for the reply, but this feature was also planned for the end of 2022 ( https://community.bitwarden.com/uploads/default/original/3X/a/5/a58c81b62c054f9b10a0e11d2b4bc2badcc7c7ed.png )
Now it’s planned for first half of 2023. So I’m not sure if the planning is actually followed-up.
I’d be happy if it’s actually in development and coming up soon, but as said in previous message as a company we might need to use a different password manager to close this yearly goal of security.

Maybe @bw-admin can you give us some updates on this topic.
Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for checking in all, this is on the roadmap but I don’t have any specific ETAs at this time, we will be sure to share more information as it becomes available :+1:

4 Likes

It is also a crucial feature for our company to make the switch to bitwarden. We absolutely need the function of sharing individual passwords with individual users.
I am very happy to see here that this function is planned in the status. We very much hope that a focus can be put on this in order to share passwords even more comfortably and easily in the near future.

1 Like

Did this actually get implemented in 2022? As far as I can see it didn’t. I can also see something in the 2023 roadmap for “Vault Item Sharing” - but the thread in 🗓 Vault Item Sharing - #41 by cassvail is very long. Down the bottom it appears to make some references to it, but its a bit of a marathon thread to get to the context related to this concept.

I’d echo the sentiments from other users here. For the less-tech-savvy/lazier people who need to use a company password manager - the more clicks/copy-pastes involved in getting data from vault-to-shared - the more likely they are just going to copy-paste into a chat/sms instead. A quick share-this-entry feature is killer for getting these sorts of people to use it properly.

Thanks for following up, this one is in progress.

From a the logins search or from the details screen, there should be a send button which will open the send form with the username and password of the login pre-populated.

2 Likes

Add a button to quickly Send logins directly from the “Edit item” pop-up

When you need to share an item using Send, you currently have to go to the Send section, click “New Send” and manually insert all your credentials.

I think it would be much easier if there was a cute little button that you could click to open the “New Send” pop-up with your credentials already there, so all you have to do is review them and click “Save” :slight_smile:

1 Like

This should be covered in the current roadmap under Vault Items Sharing.

I’m using a Bitwarden family plan and when I share a password wth my wife and kids, I need to move the password to an organization and then assign it to a collection in that organization.

This is perfectly fine for the technically savvy among us. But for the average home user, this is a level of complexity that the UI should hide from most people. When you click on the 3 dots, there should just be an option to “Share password” and then it lists all the people in your family plan. You pick the people you want, and it auto-moves the password into the organization, and either automatically creates a new collection, or re-uses one that’s already there with the right people in it.

And when you unshare a password, it should automatically move it into your personal vault and delete it from the family vault without you needing to do anything extra other than unshare it.

The current method is obviously useful for more advanced fine-grained control and should be retained for corporate/enterprise customers. Perhaps available as an “advanced” option somewhere.

2 Likes

Dear bitwarden Team,

I wanted to add my voice to this feature request as well, as it is crucial for my company’s needs. We are currently evaluating different password managers for our team, and Bitwarden is one of our top choices. However, the ability to share individual passwords with specific users is a critical feature that we require in order to fully make the switch to Bitwarden.

As an IT manager, I work with multiple contractors and vendors who require access to specific passwords, and the current workaround of creating collections for each user is not a sustainable solution for us. We need a more streamlined and user-friendly way to share passwords with specific users, while maintaining control over access and permissions.

I appreciate the effort that the Bitwarden team is putting into implementing this feature, and I hope that it will be available soon. Please let us know if there’s anything we can do to help or provide feedback during the development process.

Thank you for considering our request and for providing such a great product.

Best regards,
marcus

1 Like

I wanted to add my vote here as well for the absolutely critical feature to share individual items with individual bitwarden accounts in perpetuity. This flexibility in sharing is a clear advantage of the LastPass implementation of sharing, and I hope bitwarden staff play around with LastPass to get an idea of exactly how much better this particular sharing feature is for LastPass versus bitwarden. we recently switched to 1password fro LastPass die to the data breach, but were shocked to find that there is no easy, intuitive and seamless way to share individual items with individual people. It is a deal breaker for us to use bitwarden if this feature doesn’t not exist. Additionally, this feature should be available for all users. For instance on a family account with 6 users, let say 2 spouses, their kids and grandparents, there is at present no way to have a grandparent make an item and share it only with a kid, and not have everything visible to the the 2 spouses. crazy that this is not possoble. it assumes there is no privacy for kids from their parents…Thats not fair. Please fix this and we would switch immediately…

1 Like