Vault Item Sharing

The “Send” functionality does not solve this need at all.

I found it even quite useless because it does not require authentication at the receiving end. So anyone with the link can see the secret. The Passwort-Protection does not help since, I would need to share the access password along with sending the link.

Using E-Mail is similar (un)safe.

2 Likes

Seems like you have not gotten a clear picture of send.
A Send can be protected with a password. Access limit can also be set. So the link will expire after the access count has exceeded.
I would suggest you to watch Bitwarden Send: Secure Text and File Transfer - YouTube

Hello @vachan thanks, I have watched the video. It did not tell me anything new though.

Maybe to phrase my thoughts differently:

Even if I would use Password Protection and Access Limit, I still would need to send the Link together with the Password over an insecure channel (Email, Slack, …) to the receiver. If any Man-In-The-Middle would intercept this communication, he or she could steal the well-encryped secret.

Fair point, though, if possible, sharing the password via phone call, or separate, relatively secure channel should be good for all but the most critical secrets :slight_smile:

Maybe in the future Send can be directly sent to a bitwarden user through the client itself ?
Like if you add my email address to a send. I will automatically get the Send on all my client apps.

3 Likes

I did not think about that.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Send Login

When viewing a login, add option that allows it to be sent to another party.
I have had to manually copy paste usr/pwd details so many times to other parties, it seems like many others would have this issue also.

It just sends the credentials via the SEND feature, and you can set the normal expiry etc. if needed.
It saves time copying and pasting the creds into an email.
Added benefit of having the encryption/expiry options of Send

1 Like

Send Login

When viewing a login, add option that allows it to be sent to another party.
I have had to manually copy paste usr/pwd details so many times to other parties, it seems like many others would have this issue also.

It just sends the credentials via the SEND feature, and you can set the normal expiry etc. if needed.
It saves time copying and pasting the creds into an email.
Added benefit of having the encryption/expiry options of Send

1 Like

Just to clarify the user is looking for a way to quickly use the SEND encryption to send an item detail without, copying and pasting various fields which is a PITA.

My suggestion to not clutter the interface is to put a CREATE SEND on the top of the edit item menu.

1. open the item to edit.
  2. click CREATE SEND (icon)
  3. this will open the send item as a text, with the following items prefilled.
    Login Items:
    Name
    Username
    Password
    URI 1
    Notes:

Card Items:
ITEM INFORMATION
Name
Cardholder Name
Number
Expiration
Security Code

1. End user can then edit info as appropriate.
2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying! That’s perfect

I was about to suggest exactly the same. This combination of the great new Send feature with the existing vault seems like a very obvious win. @tgreer Is this on your radar?

2 Likes

@aspiers

fosho

4 Likes

This would be a great feature. Τhe best way to implement it imo, would be by having user and group permissions to be set for each item instead of collection. This is the most important disadvantage of BitWarden for our organization.

I don’t understand why it was not already integrated in Bitwarden app.
It’s a must have feature !

2 Likes

We agree it will be a great addition, but sending items vault > vault requires a great deal more work, and an encryption waltz if you will :slight_smile:

Hey
It would be nice if we could share bitwarden entries using bitwarden send from the entry itself,
So if I have the (insert streaming service here) entry open I can click a button that creates a “Send” with those credentials in, so I don’t have to manually copy-paste the data back and forth between the “Send” item and the password entry.

Couldn’t agree more. We have successfully replaced all our old disorganised methods of WhatsApp/ texts/ dictating over phone with bitwarden send, which is great, but more tedious than necessary. Pre-populating a send with username, password and URL would save lots of time and avoid possibility of mis-pasting (ie pasting the incorrect password from a previous, stale copy-password action)

4 Likes

This would be great. The ability to share an item/folder/collection with a single other Bitwarden hosted user. This would be great on a personal level with family/friends, but also I have already run into several options where I wanted to take an item from my “Business” folder in my private vault and share it with another Bitwarden user in our org without removing my ownership and sending it to a collection.

This is a big one that’s blocking us moving. There’s many situations where a secret belongs to a collection but it needs to be shared with +1 or +2 users in the organization as well. Not justified having collection hell to accomodate all variations of this. Need to be able to share to a collection + individual org users. User to user as well.

Feature name

Increase the user experience of sending a password to someone else using Sends.

Background

One of the most useful functions of the Send feature is being able to more securely share passwords with someone else over email, text, etc.

The challenge is that right now if we want to send a password to someone using the Send feature there are a lot of steps:

1. Copy password from vault
  2. Click Send tab
  3. Click new Send
  4. Select “Text” option
  5. Paste in password
  6. Save Send
  7. Click Send options
  8. Click copy Send link
  9. Paste Send into email client

We were really hoping to use Sends for password sharing at our organization, but this process is too long for less technical users.

Feature function

Here’s a suggested alternative

1. In Vault, click options on an item (or right click on desktop app)
  2. Below “copy password” have option to “send password”
  3. Automatically copy newly created Send with default settings to clipboard
  4. Paste Send into email client