Trying to migrate my passwords from Dashlane

Hi All

I would very much like to use Bitwarden but my first impressions are not great.
When I try to import my 500 passwords I am getting random cipher errors on many of my Dashlane Generated passwords.

I don’t really want to delete them what can I do?

Cheers

How are you importing the passwords? JSON, plaintext or something else?
https://help.bitwarden.com/article/import-data/

I am using JSON of course, I’m not massivley technical I just want to use a password manager that works.
Having to format my data before importing it seems rahter painful.

@ukmercenary Can you try again? There was an issue a few days ago with the Dashlane import that has since been fixed.

Yes it works! thanks mate @kspearrin

So I have migrated my passwords which is half way there. I have also installed the desktop app the the chrome plugin.

My expectations are that if I go to a website in this case.
https://mail.ionos.co.uk/

That the Chrome Extension will offer to autofill the username and password once I select the username field.

But it does not I have to manually select the Chrome extension, then find the username and password and select it for it to continue.

This is not auto fill it is manual fill I could do this with a spreadsheet?
Am I missing something here?

Also, the plugin to Chrome does not integrate with Chrome correctly.
When I was using Dashlane this would say “your passwords are being managed by Dashlane”
I don’t want two password managers I want one that works on all devices!

Cheers

I would not want Bitwarden, or any other password manager, to override Chrome’s built-in password manager. If you don’t want Chrome to save passwords, you can go to

chrome://settings/passwords?search=passwords

and disable that feature. But some of us want the option to use the web browser’s password manager and also one or two others. This is especially useful if we have passwords of varying degrees of security. Then we can use the web browser’s password manager for the low-security passwords, and only log into our other password manager such as Bitwarden for the high-security passwords. By keeping Bitwarden locked most of the time, we make our high-security passwords more secure while still being able to conveniently log into low-security sites such as web forums.

Some features, like the use of a proxy server, must by their nature be controlled in one place, and it makes sense for a proxy server extension to override Chrome’s internal proxy settings.

Password management is not such a feature. Password managers should leave one another alone.

1 Like

Yes agreed I do agree with your idea. I used to use Google Smart Lock all the time but then I bought an iphone. One of the biggest issues I have is when an app updates, often you have to re-enter the password for the app and with an iphone previously you were forced to use Safari and KeyChain.

I have a terrible memory and can never remember an apps password. IOS 11 enabled 3rd party password mangers.

Their is no easy way to sync Google Smart Lock with Apple KeyChain, apparently you can download an older version of firefox and export your Google passwords to a .csv then import them into keychain. (Which is not practical if my passwords are updating all the time).

This is why I have opted for a 3rd party password manager I am happy to keep using BitWarden.
However a few questions are you planning to enable touch ID for the iphone app? as having to enter the master password everytime is a bit annoying.

Does the unpaid version of BitWarden allow synchronization of passwords over platforms?
So if I update my password on my laptop will it update on the iphone app?

Cheers

Yep, it does! :wink: