Trying to Import From 1Password

Hello Everyone,
I am new to Bitwarden and I am trying to import my passwords from 1Password and I could use some help. I have been searching these forums and online for how to do this. Every set of instructions I have found have not worked.
I have tired to follow these steps right from Bitwarden’s help page.

1. Navigate to the Vault you’d like to export. Currently, 1Password will not allow you to to export from multiple Vaults at once.
  2. In your Vault, select the items you would like to export. Hold Ctrl/Cmd to select multiple Vault items, or select everything by pressing Ctrl/Cmd + A.
  3. On Windows, select FileExport or right-click and select Export.On macOS, select FileExportAll Items….
    I have followed the instructions in step 2 which did not work. As for step 3 there is no File–Export and when I right click I still do not get the option to to export.
    I am not sure where I am going wrong.
    Thank you!!

Hi Eric, I have recently migrated from1Password to Bitwarden, and the sequence described worked ok for me, though because of the difficulty in matching fields I found it simpler to import records manually by pasting the data across. Although this took longer, it enabled me to set things up in BW just how I like, and to clean out a lot of redundant logins and upgrade passwords where necessary.

What version of 1P are you using, and what platform (Mac OS, Windows?). The instructions assume a desktop client. “Ctrl/Cmd + A” means Ctrl + A on Windows or Cmd + A on Mac. It’s difficult to see what could not be working here. As for step 3, on Mac go to Export in the File menu bar menu and you have a straight choice between All or Selection: choosing either will bring up a dialog box where you can choose where to store your export .1pf file. Bitwarden will import that file, but may lay the imported records out differently because it does not have the same range of record types as 1P.

1 Like

Thank you for responding. I am using Windows. By the sounds of it doing this manually will be better as you mentioned I would get to set things up the way I would like it. Thank you for your help.
Eric

Hi, with 1Password for Windows v 7 (NOT the v8 beta), the export did work for me without problems just as you described - select all, export. I didn’t use the CSV export but the .1pif export and importing into Bitwarden was without any problems (and without any need to map fields).