TOTP - protect with second master password

I understand the point of Bitwarden is to only have 1 password for everything but the point of a TOTP in theory is to require a second piece of information.

I think Bitwarden should have the option to allow users to protect TOTP codes with a second, separate, master password so it can effectively function as an independent TOTP manager

1 Like

Not really. The idea is to have to remember 1 password only so that “everything” can have a unique password you do not have to remember.

1 Like

Furthermore: The TOTP is the second factor which is protected by the password you use for your Bitwarden account. And in case that this will make you feel better: Bitwarden is about to introduce the “Master password reprompt”. For details on this see here:

3 Likes

The “Master password reprompt” is different from a second, different master password that the OP was asking.

If it’s just reprompting the same master password again, then the TOTP is no longer the second factor.

I would like to have this feature too, so that I don’t need to create two Bitwarden accounts (one for 1st factor passwords, one for 2nd factor TOTP tokens). I know I need to remember two master passwords anyway, but at least I don’t need to register another email address just to create the 2nd Bitwarden account and pay twice.

Sadly this is archived and I cannot vote for it.

Can this be un-archived in order to allow voting?