Top bar icon for bitwarden

I am using ubuntu 20.04.3

I am also using bitwarden. I swear I used to have a bitwarden icon in the top bar of my display but no longer. I don’t remember how I did it and it may have never happened at all (my memory is not always right). I would like to be able to access bitwarden outside of firefox browser. I have been reading about stuff like folders, etc. but nothing about being able to access bitwarden from outside of a browser.

I would like to be able to do that - thoughts?

I think you’re looking for the Desktop application: Download | Bitwarden

It will appear as an icon in the top bar for quick access

2 Likes

And also make sure you haven’t disabled the tray icon - it is in the Options settings.

Thanks for the replies.

I am running with 20.04.3

I downloaded bitwarden (Bitwarden-1.28.2-x86_64.AppImage) but have no idea what to do with it.

Its strange. I read all I could. Is there a bitwarden ap and bitwarden.cli? Anyway, I am shooting for having a link to bitwarden in the top bar instead of only in the browser.

Correct - the Bitwarden desktop app is separate from the CLI installation. The desktop app can be configured to load automatically and sit in the top tray.

On my Ubuntu 20.04 installation, I used Snap to install the BW client - it was a breeze.

Thanks for the response!

I still need to know howto install the ap. Not even sure I have downloaded the right one. I downloaded Bitwarden-1.28.2-x86_64.AppImage.

If that’s the right one then what do I do with it? If not which one should I have gotten?

Thank you…

Are you familiar with snap packages? That’s probably the easiest method on Ubuntu. Just open a terminal window and type:

sudo snap install bitwarden

You can also download browser extensions for most browsers (see: https://bitwarden.com/download/).