Too manyrequests: You have reached your pull rate limit. You may increase the limit by authenticating and upgrading

Hello to the community and hopefully also to the developers,
I just did an update of my system (./bitwarden.sh update), and now I get the following error
“toomanyrequests: You have reached your pull rate limit. You may increase the limit by authenticating and upgrading”.
Unfortunately the script has already deleted all “old” images and containers, so I cannot start bitwarden anymore.
As I understand it, does the provider of the images at Docker Hub have to create a paid account or is it the “downloader”?

Does anyone know a workaround?

Thank you very much.

Christoph

This. It’s you, the downloader, should ether authenticate yourself (with free account) to get elevated rate limits, or simply get a paid account at docker hub.

Thanks for your answer. Then I got it all wrong.

Posting a clearer answer than “It’s you”.

While it’s “you”, it’s really the dockerhub website. As of 11/20/20, they have introduced new rate limits.

Understanding Docker Hub Rate Limiting

Blockquote On November 20, 2020, rate limits anonymous and free authenticated use of Docker Hub went into effect. Anonymous and Free Docker Hub users are limited to 100 and 200 container image pull requests per six hours.

When I updated my bitwarden self hosted install it blew right through the Anonymous limit.

They have a blog entry on how to check your current limit utilization. Following that I waited fro the limit expiration and then tried to update. About 1/2 my containers downloaded, the rest errored out.

To get past this, sign up for a free dockerhub account, and then on your bitwarden install, run “docker login”. Be aware this will store your docker credentials unencrypted on the local server.

HTH,

Al

EDIT: Add how to get past this.