Today I tried to update the Desktop app and Norton flagged it

Hello,
today I tried to update the Desktop App and Norton flagged it as dangerous: the installation file does not have a “digital signature”.
Should I proceed anyway?

Thanks,
Rob

2 Likes

I am seeing the same Norton firewall warning since upgrading to 2024.2.1 windows edition of the client. Warning says that bitwarden.exe is not digitally signed…
grab

@iRob & @DougWarden867 — welcom to the forum!

What operating system are you using?

What happens if you do a clean install instead of updating the app in-place?

I currently use the Bitwarden Portable Desktop App for Windows (version 2024.2.1), and have confirmed that this binary does have a valid digital signature.

Hello,
I am using Windows 11 Pro 23H2.

Thanks,
R

And also, VirusTotal shows the non-portable installer for 2024.2.1 to be installing Bitwarden.exe that is signed:

Installer: VirusTotal

Bitwarden.exe: VirusTotal

1 Like

Based on the available info, I wouldn’t proceed but wait until it is clarified. Probably nothing, (there is a signing problem with a Linux package), but it eventually may pay to be careful, and we normally don’t need the updates that badly.

I have the same issue with Norton flagging the app’s digital signature after updating to 2024.3.0. I tried uninstalling and re-installing the desktop app, no effect. I’m using Windows 11 23H2, and never had any issues with the desktop app until the latest upgrade.

Hi Mike,

How about uploading Bitwarden.exe, the file that is getting flagged, to VirusTotal and posting the resulting link here?

@MikeInTexas @iRob

Hi Mike, Hi Rob,

Searching for a similar problem with Norton Firewall will find that it had some problems with valid digital signatures in the past. If you have verified the said Bitwarden.exe signature, either looking at Windows’ properties’ digital signature tab, or by uploading to VirusTotal to check it there, I’d suggest you head to Norton’s support forum, as nobody else had reported a similar problem with BW 2024.2.1 (or yet 2024.3.0) with other antivirus/firewall platforms.

On the Norton’s side, when people experienced such flag with a valid software in the past, they resolved the problem by reinstalling with the latest Norton, or letting Norton know about it, resolving the problem after the next Norton update.

I already installed it after a Virustotal scan of my dloaded file.

Thanks
R

I downloaded manually from the download page (MS Windows).
The windows installer is signed but only recently.

1 Like

Out of curiosity I just uninstalled it, re-downloaded the installation file, and installed it again and I got no error messages.
I think also Norton was updated in the background.

So all is good!
R

2 Likes